Shaking, Stuck on Centering, and then Going Offline

Yesterday I was having the issue of the machine going back and forth between centering, scanning and then going offline. I restarted my Wifi network and that worked for a while. This morning I’m having the same issue with the added scariness of the machine shaking and jumping on the rails as it tries to center and then goes offline. I thoroughly cleaned the machine and all lenses/mirrors. Any suggestions?

You may have debris on the rails. Might not be lined up on the rails properly. Belt might be loose.
Machine might not be flat. Tough to say what’s causing your issue. If you think it’s safe to do so, take a video and show us what you’re seeing.

It does this 4 or 5 times while centering all the way from one side to the other and then it goes offline

Check the belt underneath the gantry to see what kind of tension you have.

If I pull the gantry to the front of the machine it doesn’t happen until it gets to the back. Then the belts on the side rail tighten and it jumps. It’s almost like it doesn’t know the gantry is at the back wall. So, software issue?

Ahh, I gotcha. I couldn’t tell that it was at the very back or what direction it was going when trying to move.

My guess is that it’s confusing one of the objects in the bed as the head and trying to move the head based off of that guess. If you can remove those, or cover them up temporarily, I’m thinking it will center.

3 Likes

I’m so sorry for the trouble.

One reason the centering may be taking a long time is that the materials in the bed are creating images that cannot be processed correctly.

Can you try removing all the material from the crumb tray, trying again, and let us know if you’re still having trouble?

Let me know how it goes!

5 Likes

Thank you JB and Marc, it was the images in the bed. I didn’t think about having never loaded small pieces like that when first turning the machine on. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

1 Like

Kudos to @MarcM for noticing this. It is a rare occasion and doesn’t come up as an issue in the forum, but it is something for folks to be aware of.

It’s like back in the pre-release days, large black squares cut out in a full sheet of material could confuse the algorithm.

1 Like

That is great news that @MarcM’s troubleshooting got this fixed for you! I’m going to close this thread. If you run into any more trouble, please start a new one or reach out at support@glowforge.com

Happy printing!