Shattered door

thanks for the suggestion.

So sorry to hear that this happened to you. I live in Southern California and came home yesterday from a trip to find my Glowforge lid shattered as well, I keep it in my insulated garage, and I know it got cold while I was away, but itā€™s rare to get into the 40s here. Iā€™m planning to reach out to support today, but would be curious to hear how things work out for you as well.

1 Like

Sorry to hear about your gf as well. I have attached my response from them after i reached out. Not good news. Seams like theyd offer the lid if it cracked. Not sure if mine will come on, gotta clearALLL the glass out. Laser not broken, although not to say it works.

Hello Takita,

Iā€™m sorry to hear about the trouble with your Glowforge.

My name is Jeremy; Iā€™m a Technical Support Engineer at Glowforge. Iā€™ll be working with you on this request.

Thank you for including the photo of the damage, itā€™s incredibly helpful.

Iā€™ve examined all the information we have about your Glowforge, and Iā€™m sorry to say that my inspection brings me to the conclusion that itā€™s not possible to repair it. Iā€™m very sorry, as I know that isnā€™t the news you were hoping to receive.

However, given the unfortunate circumstances, weā€™re able to offer you a refurbished Glowforge Basic (which would be $3,995 new) to $2,596 plus any applicable taxes. This discount accounts for us buying back your current unit. Roundtrip shipping is $200.

The price quoted above does not include any accessories, but if you need any accessories (such as a crumb tray), please either let me know and Iā€™ll add them to the invoice, or you can purchase replacements at our shop.
While I was hoping we could solve this with a repair, I think a refurbished printer might be an even better option. These are refurbished by the same factory and team that makes the new printers. They replace any parts that are worn, perform a 36-point quality inspection, and do full diagnostic testing. Our refurbished printers go through exactly the same quality testing as our new printers, so we know it will print perfectly and live up to your needs and expectations. Weā€™ll also include a 90-day guarantee.

To get your newly refurbished Glowforge:

The thing is the lid camera is calibrated for each unit as I understand it.

so doing that in the field would be problematic as the front might have to be open or something like that.
Donā€™t know for sure, but some of the parts go together in a very unit specific way.

hence the no field replacement of the laser tube.

1 Like

Seems fair. They offer better pricing on refurbished machines to replace those that have failed even out of warranty, but for a machine damaged due to negligence, thatā€™s still a substantial discount.

1 Like

Apparently. All of the components are assembled and calibrated into a system. Because of the ā€˜open sourceā€™ nature of the software, it seems like the procedure should be made available, but I am ignorant of those terms.
What I donā€™t appreciate is being treated as if The calibration is beyond my ability. Special tool involved? Cool, there is another source of revenue - support of your product with the needed tools and instruction.

The glowforge has enabled creativity that has empowered my imagination. I only wish that the companyā€™s liability exposure didnā€™t require me to trade units because of an adjustment or minor malfunction.
Without a doubt, my inability to understand the limitations is a reflection of my ignorance.

1 Like

Agree completely.

a few years ago. we had a very expensive color laser printer crap out at work. Tektronix, was about 8 grand at the time. the fuser went out. no local place was a repair depot. so I ended up convincing them to sell me the part. so I replaced a non field serviceable part. wasnā€™t even difficult.

i do think the bulk of the USER fix issues are derived from having the laser in a NON safe situation for some instances.

folks forget to NOT look at the laser with their one good eye.

4 Likes

That was my expectation. You could replace the lid and find that the glass laser tube cracked somewhere as seems likely. $1200 for the parts if you buy refurbished is not terrible, even though very painful. You would do best to hold on to the crumb tray etc. as that is undamaged and extra expense not needed. I still have my crumb tray that is damaged from my"first day with a Glowforge" stupidity though the rest is on the third round.

Are you on facebook?

Hello, did you get your glowforge glass repaired?

Just an update guys. GF told me that it is not possible to repair my glowforge. Hereā€™s the UPDATE!! My glowforge is fully functioning after purchasing another lid. and doing a little tinkering myself. If Iā€™d agreed to the refurbished glowforge, I would have paid almost $3000. and GF would have made another $3000. give or take, so would have been $6000. for the big guy. Now Iā€™m celebrating! Thanks to whoever it was that told me to check out Friendliest Glowforge group on facebook.

3 Likes

Thanks for following up! Unfortunately work and life have prevented me from progressing on the issue. GF made me the same offer they made you, to replace the unit with a refurbished one for$2,596 + tax and shipping the old unit back. Iā€™m still debating this replacement offer or looking at other options, larger cutting bed, more powerful laser etc. If iā€™m going to spend the money i might want to upgrade in the processā€¦ I am so glad to hear you found a replacement door on the Facebook group Iā€™ll have to join!

1 Like

If youā€™d like to reach out to the gentleman that helped me you can contact me on facebook if youā€™d like through messenger if youā€™re on there and Iā€™ll give you his name. I am so happy that mine works. When I bought, i bought straight out cash, but couldnā€™t this time.

You can contact Jonathan Gleichā€¦ Friendliest Glowforge Group on Facebook.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.