Shipping Nightmares (Lessons Learned)

Ah man, a thing of beauty. I see you got the dual extruder model… NICE! I was planning on getting the dual as well. I just recently picked up a kangaroo and have been using it to run my 3d printer and X-Carve, so I might skip the octoprint. Do you think it makes things easier than having a PC at hand?

I octoprint because this is in the basement, and it is so much nicer. I have that my x-carve ties up a computer… The dual Titan will be so much nicer (just waiting for a few parts) as it gives larger volume and higher quality extrusion.

Bah… I emailed support and inquired about picking up mine personally (I’ll probably be vacationing not far from Seattle when it’s released) and got shot down. I’d rather do that than let a courier lug it back across the border.

1 Like

We won’t have your Glowforge in Seattle, so it would be hard for you to pick it up in Seattle. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Well that’s too bad. I would have loved to have thanked you and your people personally at the same time.

2 Likes

Yep. I’m sure Glowforge will do everything they can to resolve shipping problems, but the TOS we agreed to states their official position pretty clearly :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you decide to pick it up, let the rest of us Coloradans know–I bet most of us would pay your travel expenses (and some might even join you–DO I HEAR ROADTRIP?) for the peace of mind.

4 Likes

For residential deliveries, the best experience I’ve had of late has been Amazon. They even called me once to see if I wanted the package on the back porch so no one could walk by and take it (it was a new microwave). I was surprised that they called to check in instead of just leaving the package and running. I don’t know if they would offer their shipping services to things not bought on Amazon, though.

1 Like

I have a side business that ships collectible playing cards. The people that buy my stuff are extremely picky, and even a slight dent will generate an email. Over the last few years I’ve packed up and shipped out about around 8,000 packages all around the world. I’ve learned that as the shipper, you have to do your best to pack things in a reasonable fashion that balances your cost and time vs. the level of protection needed.

You can spend a ton of time and money on every package, but the benefits start to fall off at a point. Finding that sweet spot where 99% of packages arrive safe but you don’t kill yourself is a tricky business. As the weight of the package goes up, this becomes more difficult because the shippers are not gentle. I’ve been amazed at the treatment some packages have gotten.

I will assume that the GF folks are going to design a very good box with sufficient airspace/support/padding at the corners that should minimize damage, but no matter what they do short of hand delivery on pillows towed by angels, somebody is going to get a damaged unit. And that’s where customer service comes in, and I suspect GF will be good in that regard. I’m sure they will send out a small number at first and track the results carefully to make sure things are arriving in the condition they expect.

3 Likes

No clue where the production line is located. And the distribution site might be near the assembly location or from a distribution center thousands of miles away. We know it won’t be from the Glowforge offices. So I haven’t purchased a ticket to Seattle.

1 Like

:musical_score:…It’s a highway song :notes: sing it on and on…:notes:

Sold my truck a few years back when I retired but the trusty Dodge minivan will fit 4x8 plywood inside. That will fit at least 6 if they have to ride flat, more if they can stand on their ear or end. A smooth ride compared to a freight truck, and guaranteed white glove handling!

Self employed delivering and installing high end furnishings for 30 years, I constantly heard horror stories from customers about residential deliveries that amazed me. It’s really not that hard (weight aside) to do it professionally and leave a satisfied customer in your dust.
My work completed the deal, and being the last step in a long expensive process, it was very important to leave my customer with a positve experience - being a reflection on the interior design firm as well as myself.
It wasn’t difficult considering your customer had thrown their money months ago, so when I arrived with their goods, I felt like Santa they were so glad to see me! You really have to screw up to alienate a customer in that frame of mind.
I set my own schedule and was well paid, but the standard parcel delivery guy gets an hourly rate and is under the gun to keep to a tight schedule. They don’t have any of the control that I had, often jumping into a loaded truck with his schedule on a clipboard having never even seen what was loaded the night before, much less what condition it was in (UPS for example).

We dont have much control being on the recieving end, but Inspection on delivery is your job - and it is critical. :mag: Guess how I know that?

3 Likes

I used to work for UPS as a truck unloader at the regional hub. While I was there I can verify that the 80 lb+ 2-person–lift-rule was commonly mentioned by management but I only saw it actually followed by workers once or twice. The reason is that the pace they maintain is grueling and if you slow down a load or unload you were yelled at immediately. With one unloader per truck there was no time to wait for someone else to come help so you just did your best.

3 Likes

Rabbit trail, but was there some bigger than usual announcement about where/how the units would be made? Vague recollection from the early days…

3 Likes

Thanks!

I wonder what the extra shipping would be for the hand-delivered on pillows towed by angels…:smirk: hmmm

6 Likes

It will only cost you your and your unborn children’s souls

2 Likes

i am no longer want my Glowforge reservation cause your terrible delay shipping

pls refund my money back

You’ll want to go here:

https://glowforge.com/cancel-pre-order/

5 Likes