Show and Tell

Nice

3 Likes

Very nice! I love this. Everyone should have one of these. Did you put this together month by month? :nerd: - Rich

3 Likes

It looks really nice

4 Likes

I made a digital new moon countdown. Well, and countdown really.

I hope to make a enclosure for it when my Glowforge arrives.

17 Likes

That is lovely! I have the lunar phases in all my calendars to remind me to look up. If I miss a full moon, I haz a sad.

8 Likes

Hey that’s really nice! I imagine it’d be really cool to have a bar of those things with all sorts of countdowns. “Winter Is Coming 219 Days” “Shopping Days Until Christmas” “Our Wedding Anniversary”

4 Likes

Right now I have setup two calendars on google. One is for the phases of the moon and the other for countdowns. It switches back between the two. Good idea on the events I need to add a few of those.

Now we can start crowdsourcing the enclosure.

2 Likes

I hope you have fun with it! Seems a nice project!

I modded this one I found on the internet last year. I couldn’t find a 2017 calendar I liked, so this year I added my own moon vectors. I went a little crazy and Got all the basic moon phase dates from NASA. After I laid them out, I added the transitional phases, then tried to rotate and match the angle of the as best I could.
Probably the worst part was when I was working on redoing all of the dates for 2017 and I miscalculated February, which threw it all off by a day. Other than that it was a blast!

FYI, if you ever want to print something really big for cheap, go to staples and ask for an engineering print. I think it cost me $7, but I’ve gotten it for less than half that with a coupon.

6 Likes

I really want to have this on an old CRT TV in the corner of my room somewhere. That’s fantastic!

That is a lot of work, but the result was really beautiful. :clap::+1::+1: - Rich

2 Likes

Two day old chicks are super fun to watch.

There are 42 in the brooder. They should be laying by August.

18 Likes

Super squeeeeeeeee! :heart_eyes:

5 Likes

I raised chickens a few years ago…but only about 5-6 of them. I remember watching them as chicks like this, too…SO cute! Mine were really more pets than anything, but sure didn’t mind getting nice eggs as a bonus. I really can’t handle it anymore, but sure have some fond memories of that time.:chicken:

7 Likes

It will be a sad day when we can’t raise them anymore. We started with 10 chicks about 4 years ago and this will bring our total chicken count up to 74. But 12 weren’t sexed so we will see how many roosters we get.

Can’t beat fresh farm eggs.

6 Likes

Wow, that really brought back my ranch childhood! Every spring, we’d bring in chicks and keep them inside for a while under warm lights. That “cheep!cheep!cheep!” is part of the soundtrack of my childhood.

9 Likes

Cute. One brother worked at a turkey hatchery. He brought home a box of poults, about 100 of them. I think we got a couple to grow of decent size, but no body wanted to butcher them. Cousins took a couple and had a tom that was around 40 pounds. He was pretty friendly. Hard to cook a bird that big though. Took two ovens.

2 Likes

Wow, that’s awesome :astonished:

I liked going to the hatchery. Cleaning out the hen house not so much. Collecting eggs from under a hen that didn’t want you to take the egg could be challenging for a young kid.

6 Likes

My father was a sixth grade teacher, so every Easter break he would bring home some chicks and ducklings (from the class). We’d usually drive (from Michigan) to Pennsylvania to visit the my Grandmother and leave them up there. When we’d drive up for Christmas break and have the chicken/duck dinner we’d ask what happened to the chicks? We were always told they flew away…:relaxed: Was years before I put 2 and 2 together :fearful: :baby_chick:

14 Likes