Show and Tell

Verrrrrry nice! And I am so envious of your rolling tool chest. It reminds me of the gorgeous Vidmar I had to leave behind when I retired. After so much effort to get it in the first place.

3 Likes

Thanks I actually got that one for I think $380 from sam club around black friday it is nice but it was a pain to put together it came completely flat drawers and all. But all and all i’d recommend it.

2 Likes

I want to tailgate party with you!

1 Like

Come on down, if your near Ohio lol. I just bought my second house this one has way less work than the first one did but so far since moving into this one I have ripped out a garden and made a parking lot since there was limited parking at this house at first, Redid two sets of flooring from carpet to wood, typical painting, and wired the entire basement with new lighting for a new downstairs shop but thats a work in progress still lol. My wife said I could do what I wanted with the basement so I ran with it.

6 Likes

Oh yeah Baby!
You need a basement to contain yourself! Resourceful man you are.
Thanks for sharing with us :sunglasses:

9 Likes

Holy cow!! I’m sad that I’m out of likes for today…

5 Likes

Who is a fan of The Walking Dead?

14 Likes

Here’s an updated photo of the electric car project I posted earlier in this thread. Working on the body design and now shaping the roof. The piece in the middle of the windshield area is just a temporary support while I shave the roof and front pillars

31 Likes

Nice!
Man, I remember when my Mustang was in pieces scattered around the garage. Huge project.
Most restoration projects begin with the best intentions, but end up being sold in boxes.
Fabricating must be worse.

I have put $10,000 in parts into that car, then there is labor…
Tooling around in it is good for the cardiovascular system, when I pull back into the garage - my heart pounds and my hands tremble.
Then I get out and hug it!

Get that thing on the road! :sunglasses:

9 Likes

I gotta say, I love this thread. The eclectic skills and talents of this collective amaze me. If nothing else Dan and the glowforge team does is revolutionary they have assembled this group of amazing dreamers and makers.
I hope to come to this one day as see it has 10,000 posts. Can the forum even handle that?

12 Likes

I’m anxious to get it on the road, believe me!

I have no choice but to finish it, I’m in way too deep with 5,000 hours labor and so far about $25k-$30k invested into raw materials and parts.

The best part about fabricating from scratch instead of restoring, is you don’t have boxes of parts laying around just waiting forever. You might have some small parts but they will get used up in the building of larger parts and once those parts are built, they stay put on the car, because you need them in place in order to build the next pieces around them and ensure everything fits properly. :slight_smile:

Now when it’s time to take the whole thing apart to clean the dust out of every nook before final painting and finishing the interior upholstery, that will be another story.

9 Likes

I think I bought the last CRT rear projection TV made on earth, 65" HD back in 2005 to put together a home theater.
Before I threw the money I wanted to make the ‘stage’ for it. 51 2x4s to frame it. Media storage full extension drawers along the bottom, built-in speakers.
The main recessed area in the middle is how big the cabinet was on the old TV! Upgraded to a 65" 4k smart one. Had to redo the connections to include HDMI, CAT5, Coax and power behind the screen to eliminate dangling spaghetti.
Since the old one was so deep there was plenty of room just to frame in a new wall against the old one, place the outlets and run the wires without having to fish for days, and gave me the ability to place the framing perfectly for the nice scissor mount. New sheet rock, texture and paint.

Very happy with the TV and the project. :sunglasses:
I have blown enough sheet rock dust out of my orify to last a lifetime.

38 Likes

That is gorgeous. I just love built-ins!

5 Likes

That is really well done. Fun to revisit a previous work and modify for current needs. I enjoy seeing how far I have come when I encounter my old work. I figuratively pat my younger self on the head and say, "you’ll get there."
Then while I am talking to myself in a time-warped mode, I apologize to my future self for the mistakes I don’t know I am perpetrating.

7 Likes

@cynd11 and @cmreeder thank you!
The second arch was an afterthought. Had drawn up the plan wanting to incorporate an arch just to break up with every other straight line and right-angle. Just as I decided I was pleased with it I stretched another curve from wall to wall and Wow! I really liked that!

I usually have a clear enough vision that I don’t make plans, when ever I do the word premeditated starts getting tossed around. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Edit - [quote=“cmreeder, post:1584, topic:1731”]
I apologize to my future self for the mistakes I don’t know I am perpetrating.
[/quote]

Don’t think twice. Those are the lessons in wait. The world is built on mistakes, that’s how we learn and why we put that little piece of rubber on the end of a pencil.
Besides, this is Earth. There is no escape.

7 Likes

Well… you don’t get out alive, anyway.

I apologize to my future self for the mistakes; but future me says, “don’t mind the mess; that’s how you will get to be me.”

7 Likes

This is such a great summary! I recently repaired a necklace that I made almost 30 years ago. It really illustrated how my skills have grown, and how some aspects of my style (like color choices and materials) have not changed much at all. It was very interesting to revisit that piece.

And the flip side of this is when we look forward to the type work we hope to be able to do in the future. I have sketchbooks full of ideas that were ahead of my ability when I drew them. With some, my skill eventually caught up to my imagination and I was able to actualize the idea. But in many cases, I’m still trying to get there :wink:

6 Likes

Gorgeous job! :smiley:
(I’m still tutorialing in my spare time, and missing a heck of a lot of the good stuff!)

(And a freaking oceanlinerload of the bad so it balances out.)

10 Likes

Thank you Jules! And for the great service you do for the benefit of us and all who wander in here.
You do indeed contribute so much of what makes this place whole. :clap:
Your work will benefit many in the future too. A gift that keeps on giving.

9 Likes

Then there is also the wonderful feeling, when you find something that you did previously with a thought to the future, and you get to say “Thanks, past self! Good lookin’ out!”

Like not re-taping and drywalling that panel that I had to cut out in my bathroom the first time it froze and the pipes burst. Sure was nice the second time around, when I could just unscrew it for access.

11 Likes