Show some love to your mail carrier

How cute! Thanks so much for sharing your design!!!

3 Likes

Thanks and kudos @Doppler for the intentional kerf adjustments at each tab. Added a vintage logo engrave & made more parts congruent (using kerf-specific dovetails) in my riff. It only recovers a few square inches of material, but at the increased cost of draft board? It’s time to dial frugality to 11!

Mini postcards to round out this theme…

MiniMailBoxDT

Wanted to add a “Designed by Doppler” to the bottom of the floor panel, but not sure if it’s a handle that extended beyond this forum.

…still tempted to fire up the airbrush and give it some urban graffiti rep. :laughing:

16 Likes

Do it! :grinning: That would be a great riff on the project. A little edgy look that won’t be like every other USPS approved memorabilia.

7 Likes

Awesome! Way to dial in on accuracy!

4 Likes

So cute!
Thank you for sharing

3 Likes

Fantastic improvements! Love how this turned out. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

4 Likes

LOVE this!

1 Like

Great share, thanks

3 Likes

Tank you so much for sharing! That was alot to go thruu

1 Like

Hello, Newbie here. I love this! My brother is a NICE mail carrier and I’d love to start this project for him.

Thanks!!

2 Likes

Welcome @tiablakeney32. I am sure this will be the first of many inspirational projects you will find here. Happy forging!

1 Like

There once was a time when I thought of my mail carriers as dedicated to the job, and almost a distant family member. Can’t really think of them that way now. Don’t get me wrong, many have been really good people and some will go out of their way to provide helpful service. But for decades our mail carriers have been contractors, not USPS employees. Have had probably a dozen different people deliver my mail over the past few years. They don’t get health insurance or pensions and are often treated like 2nd class workers. So, in many rural areas, the mail carrier can be appreciated or disliked depending on the week. Not that much different than your average UPS driver.

4 Likes

I was on the IBM mail delivery quality team for 6 years. They send out test mail pieces that you scan and log for their data. I would get “certified” mail pieces regularly, at least once a week.

In 6 years, my “carrier” came to my door to get a required signature just once. Mostly they tore it off and either faked my signature, or just tossed it. I would get follow-up emails asking about them every few days. I’ve had delicate packages literally thrown up onto my uncovered porch in pouring rain, when the garage (car port) is much closer. Many videos recording this crap.

They even had the audacity to leave a note one year about how they would appreciate a “tip” for Christmas.

I spotted one of them tossing a bucket of mail into a creek. Also snoozing in an abandoned lot at the end of my street. I’ve reported it all and the local “postmaster” says they just can’t get good employees. Wish I lived somewhere that could.

4 Likes

Which planet were you hoping for?
(I hear Andromeda is nice.) :wink:

3 Likes

We had a great UPS delivery guy. First-name basis. Dogs loved him (he brought treats)… We would talk about family. If we weren’t home, he’d put packages up on a table we had on a porch.

USPS and FedEx would simply drive thru and toss stuff out into the yard. Had video of it. On more than one occasion, packages were torn apart by the dogs or soaked by rain.

DHL was the worst but thankfully they quit operating around here. I had two $7,000 laptops stolen (new job, hi-tech industry, early 2000’s) in their local depot. FBI was involved.

2 Likes

All of mine were really good a few years ago, USPS, UPS, FedEx and DHL.

Then our USPS gal of about 25 years moved on to a different area where she could make more money (they get paid extra for packages and those areas are apparently quite coveted.) I don’t begrudge her that, but her replacement hasn’t really warmed up to us here yet. Acts like she’s scared and she keeps getting the deliveries off by one…so about 3 times a week, we all have to go out and find our mail, and walk the neighbor’s over. She’s nice enough, even if she won’t engage in conversation, so we’re giving her a chance to get straightened out…it’s just taking a REALLY long time.

And the UPS, FedEx, and DHL gangs are all suffering from overwork since everyone during lockdown started having stuff delivered instead of going out to get it themselves, and the ones who cared at all quit under the load that they couldn’t maintain, so now we’ve got the ones who will put up with anything for a few bucks, but don’t really care to deliver the packages intact.

It’s getting very old.

But…we’ve been extremely lucky so far; although there have been extreme delays and major nail-biting on some very expensive equipment, the only damages and losses have been on little diddly stuff from Amazon. So I’m still counting my blessings. Could be worse. Could be raining. :wink:

3 Likes

Human beings vary widely in character and quality.
All the more reason to reward the dedicated ones!

4 Likes

So true

1 Like

As it is difficult to go the several blocks to pick up the mail it would get overfull. The mailman then would put it all in a box and drop it off in the carport. Since he left they just put up a note on the mail box and send everything to the dead letter office until such time as I can make it by there to remove the note. Then the cycle starts again… :roll_eyes:

1 Like

This is such a great idea. I have a friend that is a mail carrier that this is perfect for! Thanks for sharing.

2 Likes