Sign for Family Gift

I’ve been making some family signs for family members and to sell. I don’t have longer pieces of wood, so, to make an 18 inch long sign I had to get creative. I cut my 12 inch pieces of Baltic birch ply into 3 inch strips and pieces them together like a hardwood floor. Turned out better than expected.

45 Likes

Great solution, necessity often leads to creativity. I am sure all will be very happy with the end result.

7 Likes

Innovative and visually pleasing. Necessity remains the mother of invention.

7 Likes

Love he paint and finish on this.

5 Likes

It looks very classy! Beautiful!

4 Likes

This is beautiful!

3 Likes

Love the look. You have done such a good job!

1 Like

That looks really good! How did you do the names on top? Did you cut them out of the wood and then just fit them in? Cause it looks like it’s floating over the initials.

3 Likes

When I get time later I’ll show with some pictures. It’s a little hard to explain in words. But, it’s very simple to do. Essentially it’s two cuts.

4 Likes

Wowswers, I love that! Using the familiar pattern of a wooden floor to get around the cutting bed size/material size limitations is a fantastic idea :heart_eyes_cat:

3 Likes

Such a clever solution! The signs look great!

2 Likes

I’ll start by saying I use Silhouette Studio Business Edition to make most of my files. First I place the large letter. Then, I type “the Castro Family” using the font of my choosing. I place the words over the large letter and weld. This crates this image. This is the one I cut from the “wood floor” that I’ve pieced together and is held together with transfer paper on both sides. It is quite rigid when masked on both sides. It basically acts as one solid piece of wood.

After this I make the following cut which is just the words. These are copied and pasted from the last step so they are EXACTLY the same size. That’s the trick. Don’t change the size or they won’t inlay into the last piece.

The entire thing is then glued to a thicker piece of wood that has the same overall dimensions. I used pine but it can be anything really. That is painted black, which is why the larger letter is black.

That’s pretty much it!

5 Likes

Great work around! They look super!

Very nice. Looks like you edged the ends so you couldn’t see the ply. Good job.

1 Like

Thank you @mccastro777 so much for the how-to! I really, really appreciate it! I’ve bookmarked it so I can refer back to it! Yay! :clap: