Silhouette Cameo, Curio, Portrait or Mint and Glowforge Love

What, no thats awesome! If I’m laughing, it is with you, not at you!

3 Likes

The $40 adapter thingy could be 3D printed for a buck or so in less than an hour. PM me if you want more info. :wink:

4 Likes

Thank you for the pictures!
That’s bigger than mine, which is a little bigger than a cubic foot.
Considering installing a string of LED’s in there to improve lighting as opposed to the single incandescent low watt bulb.
The shopvac is a great improvement!

1 Like

80 grit? I’ve always used 240 and above grit for sand blasting ( using the air eraser). Never tried such a coarse git. Actually I did try the glass beads - creates a fine “dimpling” on the glass.

2 Likes

I do go back to Illustrator :slight_smile: The only way to adjust in Silhouette Connect I know of is to have set up your file in Illustrator with different layers as you can have different settings for each layer (pressure, dot, dash, don’t cut, etc) in Connect. Connect is also a bit glitchy sometimes so I trust Illustrator more anyway.

4 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

Resurrecting this with the arrival of my Curio. I have lots of things in mind for it while I wait for my GF! First up for this weekend is some custom coasters for our vacation rental and playing around with pop-up cards.

I’m excited to play!

7 Likes

You’ll have a lot of fun with it. Just remember to post what you make :wink:

3 Likes

First up was some coasters for our vacation rental home in Palm Springs. Dealing with small letters on vinyl is kind of a pain!

16 Likes

those look great! is that vinyl, or did you use the machine to make stencils that you colored?

2 Likes

Those are awesome Mike! (I love retro!) :grinning:

3 Likes

Thanks! I cut vinyl as a stencil, transferred it to the cork (not so easy), then hit it with some black spray ink.

Thanks Jules - so do we! :sunny:

6 Likes

That’s a nice design, I love retro too! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

haha that explains it! i zoomed in and was like hmmm that texture is too nice for vinyl…

2 Likes

I keep thinking “this will be so much faster with a laser”!

Our neighbors there kinda keep an eye on the house when it isn’t being rented and they have a nice outdoor bar setup in their backyard. My wife just saw these and said I should make some for them as a thank you for watching over the house. I told her that’s a great idea…once I get the GF!

Last one for today. Need to come up with some textless designs to speed this along!

17 Likes

Nice job! The cork doesn’t show any paint-bleed, that’s sweet. Porous materials can be a real pain to stick vinyl onto. I find that sometimes sticking transfer tape down and peeling it back up a few times can take off the dust and loose particles and make the vinyl more likely to adhere fully… but it looks like you’ve got it figured out!

5 Likes

Great suggestion. Thanks for sharing.

I will have to remember that if I have bleed issues. I carefully used their little spatula to separate the transfer paper from the vinyl, so maybe that helped a bit. Or I wonder if maybe spray ink is less prone to bleed than spray paint?

Bleed and adhesion are two separate issues.
I’m gonna guess that cork is wicking the ink downwards, and not sideways because there is no sideways grain for it to wick along through. So no bleed under the well-adhered stencil = due to cork.
You could also be quite right about ink not bleeding as much as paint, although I would imagine that would vary with the quality of the ink/paint (the higher the pigment content, the better) and the carrier that is used for it (alcohol, water, oil, solvent, etc.)

If you didn’t have good adhesion, you would be more likely looking at underspray. you see this a whole lot with non-adhesive stencils. Here is an example. It can be used as a technique to achieve blurred lines, or out-of-focus elements, but generally you want sharp lines on a stencil and underspray is not welcome.
Worst thing with poor adhesion and spraypaint (or sandblasting) is when the whole stencil rips off your surface from the force of the spray media. :tired_face:

4 Likes