Silhouette question

I’m totally new to this so please forgive me if this is a stupid question. Do you have to own a silhouette in order to use the software?

2 Likes

Not a silly question :slight_smile: you do not need a Silhouette cutting machine to use Silhouette Studio. Do note this that only the Business Edition will be helpful to you for Glowforge purposes.

1 Like

No, a lot of people just start out with digital cutters like the Silhouette or Cricut. Or in my case, the Wishblade, which preceded the Silhouette.

You will want a software program in which you can design files. Many people use Illustrator, Inkscape, or the Silhouette program (Biz edition). There are lots of different software programs to choose from, that’s just a sampling.

The GFUI now has many design capabilities too.
HTH
Martha

1 Like

The good news is that you can get the free version of the Silhouette software and try it out and see if it is a good fit for you. If you like it then you can upgrade to the Business edition to use with the Glowforge. If I remember correctly it costs around $50.

I used the Silhouette software as I had/have a Silhouette Cameo. I upgraded to Illustrator (AI) once I purchased my Glowforge. There is a learning curve with any software but I really enjoy AI and all of its features. I tried Inkscape a few years ago and it just didn’t click with me.

2 Likes

Thank you all for your help and responses

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.