Silver Metalic

Appreciate the info!

• Tom
2 Likes

If youā€™re looking to have the engraved/rastered area silver, and want wood as your material, then deep engrave, spray paint in very light coats and run the board over a sander to clean up any bleed.

If you want a silver surface, with ā€œcharredā€ engrave, look at this laser foil technique. Iā€™ve posted it before, but you may not have seen it.

Edit: I may not have linked this in the most efficient way, click on the heading to go to the full post with a video on the method.

5 Likes

NICE! You just gained that channel a few new subscribers, Iā€™m sure. They have some cool videos!

2 Likes

Just put one up on casting pewter, got me thinking about ā€œsilverā€ inlays on engraved pieces.

1 Like

Iā€™ve seen this stuff popping up. It looks like magic. Spray on chrome in my lifetime. I live in the future.

19 Likes

Thatā€™s pretty awesome looking. I wish they did a demo on an object that wasnā€™t designed to make this process look perfect. I wonder how it works with sharp edges and undercuts

1 Like

What about just rubbing the whole thing down with metallic pigments, post engrave? You buff them in, so they wouldnā€™t get into all the details, and thereā€™s a huge range of colors in varying metallic-y-ness (technical term). Youā€™d probably want to seal the whole thing after.

I know Jacquard has a line of metallic loose pigments, but you can probably but them less expensively in bulk.

6 Likes

Thanks! Definitely the former. For the latter, I actually did see your Hot Foil post when you posted it. I thought it was quite timely for this question of mine. :slight_smile: But Iā€™m definitely looking for a silver engrave.

• Tom
1 Like

Ooooooā€¦ Me likey.

• Tom
1 Like

Good question. I know nothing about this. Iā€™ll certainly go learn more about it!

Thanks!

1 Like

This might be foolish, but is it possible to change some of the details so that they will look too bold after engrave, right after painting?

1 Like

Donā€™t know the answer but just want to say Happy Cake Day @paulw!

2 Likes

Aw, thank you! I had no idea (bad at tracking things like that). Only a couple days off from my birthday, shoulda planned that betterā€¦

2 Likes

Then Happy Birthday as well!

2 Likes

Maybe. But I think thereā€™d be too many variables to do that consistently. I mean, what if the thickness of the paint is off in spots or in different runs. Iā€™d have no real way to predict everything in order to achieve repeatable results.

Thanks!

• Tom
1 Like

Happy almost double Cakeday, @paulw!

3 Likes

I was going to suggest HIPs High Impact Polystryene, itā€™s an engraving laminate that is laserable, you can buy it in various metallic colours

9 Likes

Hey, thanks!

1 Like

Silver leafing would be an option too. It takes a bit to get used to but is not that hard. You wonā€™t lose any detail.

1 Like

ā€¦or possibly apply metallic wax with a brush.

1 Like