Simple shelf for kitchen timers

In an effort to unclutter my kitchen counters, I designed this little shelf:

Why does one need two timers, you ask? My absolute inability to pay attention to the oven timer going off is renowned in my house. I also have a bad habit of walking outside and randomly starting some chore, like pulling weeds, completely forgetting that I have cookies or bread in the oven and I can’t hear the timer from outside!

Hence, the text underneath :joy_cat::joy_cat::joy_cat:

34 Likes

I love it. I can so relate!! Great practical cut!

7 Likes

A very good reason for having a timer to turn the cooking tool power off if you aren’t hanging about it at the time. More than a few times I have cooked something for dinner only to find and eat it for breakfast.

7 Likes

Thank you @rvogt! I agree that practical cuts are the best cuts :heart_eyes_cat:

@rbtdanforth , fantastic idea, are there heavy duty on/off timed switches for ovens? When I remember to grab a timer to set next to me, my incidences of burning food go down :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

I specifically look to have ovens, air fryers, microwaves, etc to have built in timers, the exception is slow cookers where 10hr+ cooking is standard.

4 Likes

Yes. They’re used by some seniors who have memory issues to ensure they don’t burn down the house. They’re available for 240V so depending on how heavy duty you’re looking for you could be good.

Here’s one example

4 Likes

Thank you! It never occurred to me that that would be a thing, but what a wonderful safety device it would be for those with memory/attention issues.

3 Likes

The shelf is very cute! So are those timers!!!

4 Likes

Thank you! The timers were my birthday gift a couple of years ago – I specified that it had to be an animal, and got the start of a barnyard :joy_cat::chicken::cow:

4 Likes

Nice! I’d have to add a little lip around it to keep the timers on though, because I know we would be knocking them off the shelf every time! And I’d have to have the “what’s burning” on top, because I wouldn’t see it underneath. :rofl: Love it!

4 Likes

Thank you Ellen! Those would be good additions, and I only thought about adding the burning text right at the end of the design, but it would probably have been better on top :sweat_smile::joy_cat: Luckily this little shelf is in an awkward spot near nothing else, so knocking them off isn’t a bother!

3 Likes

I have the chicken one but the bell hardly makes a noise.

2 Likes