Simple tool made on my Glowforge.. this IS the icing on the cake

My wife volunteered to make a wedding cake for a friend from church. She has been baking off and on all week, and by the time this is all done she will have baked enough cake for 200 guests.
Yesterday she told me that she had to go to the store to get a special icing scraper that gets the sides of the cake extremely flat. Of course now that I have a glowforge I had another idea.
A few minutes later I was in photoshop creating a gradient image, then in inkscape created a vector rectangle, uploaded to the glowforge UI. After cutting and engraving the first side I flipped it over and engraved the other side (in order to make a knife like blade).
My wife could not be happier with the result, and the best part is that she did not have to go to the store for one more item!
Thank you glowforge!

32 Likes

Great!

Next tool you can carve notches into in order to create a pattern on the icing! (To make patterned lines as you go around.) And molds to make icing decorations! :slight_smile:

13 Likes

lol… I think at this point my wife is hoping this is a one time thing; apparently making a wedding cake is pretty stressful!

7 Likes

Looks like she’s doing a beautiful job.

2 Likes

Holy cow! I can’t imagine the stress! She appears to be doing a fantastic job with the tool! :grinning:

2 Likes

Great job! Have to say I’m very hungry for a piece of cake!

1 Like

These 2 designs will get you these patterns:

19 Likes

The voice of experience, shared like a cake Maker. :sunglasses:
“Every time an old man dies, a library burns down”.

BTW, thanks for throwing me under the buss when my Wife sees this.

8 Likes

Nice share! Wish I needed these! I’m afraid I’ve purchased everything under the sun to make cakes. Would be fun to make my own … but, alas … I quit making cakes except on a very occasional basis.

3 Likes

Now you just need a few stencils you can put over the cake and dust on chocolate or cinnamon powder!

or

3 Likes

If you had a stack of alternately sized gears (or similar ) made into a roller you would have the pattern go up and down as well as round and round. thy make such rollers commercially and I used to use them to texture clay pots (and then expanded the clay from the inside … hard to do on a cake)bluebowl

7 Likes