Skipped line while engraving

This is consistently strange.

I have a hanging sign that is 2-sided that has a large engraved area on both sides. It is a dishwasher clean/dirty sign where I engrave one side, flip it, then switch images and engrave the other side. I have done this dozens of times with no problems.

All of a sudden now my GF will seemingly “skip” a line while engraving leaving a random ridge right across the entire surface area. It’s visually noticeable and makes the whole project useless.

What’s weird is this always happens on the second side of the sign (i.e. - I’ll engrave one side just fine, flip it, then the 2nd sign has the artifact). But the ordering doesn’t matter (i.e. - I can start with “clean” on the first project and the “dirty” side will have the artifact. But if I flip the side I start with the same problem occurs on the 2nd side being engraved).

This leads me to believe it’s not a problem with the file itself, as I would assume it would consistently show up on one side or the other. Plus I’ve made this item dozens of times.

The attached photos demonstrate the behavior on 2 samples, each with 1 side showing the problem. I’ve also tried different engraving settings (draft vs. SD) to no change.

Any ideas? I’ve wasted several iterations of this trying to figure this out.

Does it happen no matter where you place the image on the bed, randomly so it would not be related to something mechanical?

Are you always loading from the design library space from the file that you had imported before? Perhaps something got goofy in that particular file that causes the glitch after a while.

If you were to freshly import the file, does it still do it?

How about something else that would be two sided?

The thing that it only does it on the flip side is interesting. Sorry I can’t figure it out, I’ll think about it. Usually these things are an issue with the design, but if you have done it fine before, I have nothing.

Please forgive me for the delayed response! @charlie, are you still having issues with your print? If so, could you please send us the file you’re running into trouble with? We’ll be glad to take a closer look. I look forward to your reply!

Doesn’t matter where. Same general design, but different “saved” files (so it’s not something specific with that one file).

Haven’t tried it since I posted as I was away camping. I’ll try again and if it still happens I’ll respond here.

Try taping down the center cuts when you do the second side. If they are small, the air assist might be shifting them if it hits one just the right way. They might be light enough to move.

@charlie I hope you enjoyed your camping trip!

It’s been a little while since we’ve heard back from you. How did your print turn out? If you’re still running into troubles please don’t hesitate to let us know.

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.