Skydio2 Drone - I couldn't resist

(It does look really cool and, I will be excited to hear the reviews from real people once they their drone in-hand. Keep us posted!)

1 Like

I’ve been a big fan of DJI for years but once they started limiting the flight characteristics of the devices I walked away. I know what the FAA flight limits are. I don’t need any artificial geofencing or whatnot being a nanny and telling me I can’t do something.

So now I’m a fan of Autel. Their EVO is pretty damn nice and cheaper than the Mavic line. And best of all… no nannies telling me what I can and can’t do.

That drone looks pretty good… I’d need to see real world performance on it’s 360 degree object avoidance though. That’s the only thing that it appears to have that’s significantly better than the Autel Evo.

3 Likes

A buddy of mine has been testing the Skydio 2 with his jetski stunt performances. Having that closer tie and seeing it in action was probably a deciding factor for me. I saw his footage on the day they released the units for pre-order and did not hesitate a second!

8 Likes

But that doesn’t take cool artsy orbiting videos. Useless.

1 Like

I was “into” RC (radio control) for years. When compact video cameras became a thing, taking aerial footage was cool.

Now anyone with a few bucks can produce professional quality aerial footage, it’s really great but you need to have a good reason to film it.

2 Likes

To me, filming and photography is the reason to fly RC.

2 Likes

That is what I love about RC, while I have no current interest in aerial cinematography, I see where it could be cool and even the main focus for some. There are simply 1000+ directions to head once into RC.

Edit: oh, and I trashed two airframes this afternoon. Sure glad Adams foam board is $0.88 a sheet and I have a :glowforge: that makes light work of cutting it.

4 Likes

Much easier to stomach than a helicopter… that’s one working helicopter, plus enough spare parts to build 3 more. LOL.

3 Likes

I used to work with a guy who wanted to get into R/C. So, he found a Chinese ducted fan fighter model, and insisted on making that advanced aircraft his first flight ever. He studied hard, you see. Did a lot of reading. He was very confident that it would be a great success.

I told him to bring a trash bag, but he didn’t listen.

“Jet Lunch” still lives in infamy.

5 Likes

Probably the most common mistake in RC. At 3-4 bucks to make an airframe I can crash to my hearts content.

2 Likes

Do you watch the FliteTest guys on YouTube? They make all kinds of cool foam planes for cheap. The best ones are when they’re all like “Eeeehhhhh this looks like it shouldn’t fly at all.” and then they’re all cheering other on in amazement when it actually does. :smiley:

2 Likes

Yup, some of what they do is simply silly so it is fun to watch but nothing you want to do yourself. Other things are worthy projects.

More importantly, hang out on their forums. It is the closest to the :glowforge: forums for RC I have found. Everyone is helpful and lots of great designs come from other members.
Both the airframes I damaged yesterday are available on their website.
Right now I cut any parts I can with the :glowforge: with other peoples designs but at some point I’d like to come up with my own that are optimized for the :glowforge: with all parts either less than 10x19" or super simple for quick cutting with just a ruler/straight edge.
FliteTest Forum

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.