Slow descent into madness

So my Glowforge problems have gotten worse after a false hope that they were getting better.

My previous post here: Glowforge intermittent freezing

While I still believe that the problem I am having is solely related to the darn ribbon cables, I am no longer able to “wiggle” or clean them to solve the problem.

Any job that I absolutely HAVE to do takes an excruciatingly long time to get past “scanning” since I must open the lid and try over and over. Sometimes I just give up.

Glowforge support, I believe that I must request an RMA and get this thing properly repaired. I of course still have the original packaging and orange plastic protective items, so I can re-pack it and send it back to you.

Help me Glow-be-won Kenobi, you are my only hope.

2 Likes

I’m sorry to hear your Glowforge is having issues.

I’ve extracted the logs from your Glowforge and looked at the trouble you’ve been experiencing. The issues you’re seeing might be caused by a poor connection with the cables on your lid. Please follow the steps below to check the lid connections:

1. Turn off your unit.

2. Open the lid.

3. Using both hands, gently roll the laser arm to the front of the unit.

4. There are 5 clips pictured below. Check each one to ensure it is closed. The clip should lie flat, and you shouldn’t be able to flip it in any direction.

1. If any of the clips are open, please take a photo and attach it to your reply. Don’t try to adjust or reseat the cable until reaching back out to us.

Thank you for checking that out for us. If everything is connected properly, it’s likely that the black cable on the lid has a problem and needs to be replaced. Because your warranty has ended, you can follow this link to purchase a new Black Lid Cable.

While you’re waiting for your new lid cable to arrive, you can review the instructions to install it - Replace the Black Lid Cable.

This should get you back up and printing right away. If you are still having trouble after replacing the cable, let us know. Take close-up photos of the three cable connections and reply to this email with the photos.

1 Like

Are they shipping the cable in tubes again?

Sadly, this is the exact same issues, and troubleshooting solutions, that have continued to plague us.

It is definitely a ribbon cable connection issue.

I have pretty high confidence that it is the cable between the camera and the LED strip. But only because that’s the cable that when we do make any type of physical interaction with will occasionally allow the glowforge to work. In recent time it has ceased to be helpful at all.

I have sent you an email to continue troubleshooting this issue. Can you please check your email for it.

To avoid duplicate communication and expedite your process, I’m going to go ahead and close this topic.