Slow to no internet

The internet is slow normally in the area that I live. However, since the covid shutdown and everyone is utilizing it for school, work, or just to have something to do, it is non existent now. Are there any known tricks around this?

You will probably have to contact your internet provider.

My Internet is pretty crappy, because I live 'way out in the country. Not much I can do about that, but the Glowforge really doesn’t need super Internet; what it needs is super solid wifi. I set up a 2.4GHz password-protected channel exclusively for my GF, with a wifi extender right next to the machine, and it works great! Except when the Internet connection goes down, or the kids (pre-COVID) are all home streaming stuff on their devices. :wink:

2 Likes

It’ll mean about $100 worth of investment, but you might be able to get yourself a wifi booster. Costco sells them online and are pretty reliable (annnnnnd they have a wicked return policy if you aren’t happy with it). We’ve added one and it made such a huge difference (my studio is about 200 meters away from the house/ router).

1 Like

Has it actually boosted the signal that you receive / quickened the download and upload or just extended your signal. If it has boosted you speeds, which one did you purchase fromm Costco? I already have a mesh extender on it and in these busy times it is no longer making the difference. Like geek2nurse, I am out in the country also.

Yes - it boosted the signal. I use to only get one “bar/ wave” of wifi signal in the studio. I’m now getting download speeds upwards of 200Mbps out there. :slight_smile:

Here’s the one that I bought from Costco - Amped Wireless High Power Wi-Fi Range Extender REC44M-CA

Item #1331940

Thank you — very willing to give it a try.

1 Like

skunks, lots and lots of skunks may inspire people to leave their homes, thereby improving your bandwidth! Put angry skunks in their mailboxes. Play loud buzzing sounds over loudspeakers so they can’t use zoom…

5 Likes

I did the same/similar to @geek2nurse and it made a huge difference for me. I set up a guest network on my mesh system and the ONLY thing I have allowed access to the guest network is my Glowforge. It now runs like a dream whereas before due to interference from other devices in my home I was constantly having issues with the gamut of offline, centering, homing, you name it.

2 Likes

I will try this, thank you very much.

1 Like

I’m glad to hear that your fellow community members were able to provide some great advice. I’ll close this thread for now, but please don’t hesitate to reach out to us directly at support@glowforge.com if you happen to run into any more trouble. We’re here to help!