Small pop, laser stopped cutting

15:15 ET heard a small pop. Felt stopped cutting in the middle of cut as soon as I heard the pop (I was actively watching the cut). Head froze at end of job and didn’t move, stuck in cooling down.

Turned off. Turned back on.

15:20 ET ran GoGM on medium proofgrade cherry plywood. Also noticed that bottom left corner of engravings aren’t the same depth as middle and right side of bed from a previous cut. Air assist fan is still running heavily.

Gift of Good Measure results. As you can see… There is nothing to see.

Photos of all closures. Everything is fine there.

Photos of printer head. Very clean and no bad pins.

I’m thinking the pop has something to do with power supply to the actual laser. Not sure what photos you may want for that. But I’m assuming this will not be an issue that can resolved remotely, so please send me an email at the email attached to my account. Would of course love to get this resolved ASAP.

Dang, that sucks.

You might as well start gathering up your orange bits and shipping materials.

1 Like

Aye, that’s my thought too. But I’m the optimist so that box will sit firmly in the closet until they tell me to do it xD

4 Likes

Fingers crossed!

2 Likes

Hi @crkjelstrom - I’m very sorry to hear about this development from your printer, thanks for reaching out.

The laser no longer appearing to mark material at all is where I’d like to focus our troubleshooting, as it could indicate that there’s a need to replace the printer, but there’s also a couple easier solutions that may explain the problem.

To start I would like to check over the remainder of your optical pieces to see if any of them explain the laser’s issue.

Could you please send photos of all your cleaned optical components, with special attention to any damage you might find:

• Both windows
    • The printer head window, on the left hand side of the printer head
    • The laser window on the inside left of the Glowforge
  • The printer head lens
    • Both sides of the lens, top and bottom
  • The mirror inside the printer head

Once we have those pictures, we’ll follow up with next steps.

@Mike.D

While I can appreciate following a process, I think we both already know it isn’t going to be any issue with the lenses. Having heard the fuse popping sound and immediately no cut power, it’s pretty obvious the issue. Nonetheless, here are your requested photos. No damage noted anywhere.

3 Likes

Adding an update on my end for you guys:

I’ve contacted Assurion because my machine is out of warranty via Glowforge. They have processed my claim over phone and will be working with me to ship it via freight. It will be shipped to them within the next few days. Please let me know if you need to contact them, and I can provide my case number and any relevant information.

Really need this fixed soon. Holiday season is coming, and while this is a “hobby” machine, it is all I have until I can get an industrial laser as my main machine.

1 Like

What is this magic of which you speak??

2 Likes

This just happened to me yesterday too. Same exact thing. Emailed and actually got a response fairly quickly. They offered me a refurbished machine . . . . . for a price (though I am still under warranty - a little over 1 month left). After I mentioned the fact of the warranty - they stopped responding. Hope you get your machine quickly (actually hoping for both of us). Really stinks that this is the busy season.

1 Like

Hi @crkjelstrom

I appreciate you double checking that for us.

Unfortunately, it looks like your unit is experiencing an issue that we can’t resolve remotely. I want you to have a reliable unit, so I’m recommending we replace this one. I’ll be in touch via email to sort out the details. I’m so sorry about the bad news.

I’m going to close this thread and we can finish up via email.

@dbuck1113 I checked, and it looks like we’ve been in contact with you as well, I’m so sorry for the delay.

1 Like