Smudges when engraving acrylic

I’m engraving 1/8 in. Acrylic to put on to a led lamp. The engraving went well, but there was smudges that I was not able to take off. I’m new to growforge and looking for the perfect settings. I want it to lightly engrave and not have it go too deep.

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum.

Is this Proofgrade acrylic? It looks like it was engraved without masking on and the fumes from the air assist carried affected the surface.

One way to do this is use a lighter power and faster speed. Use two passes and defocus the beam. The residue can be less. Best is to have a paper masking on though.

I have some acrylic that came with a plastic masking. I remove that and put over some wide masking that I have on hand.

You can polish the surface though too. Just search for acrylic polish.

2 Likes

I think I remember someone saying you could polish that out with toothpaste. (Probably the non-gel kind.)

4 Likes

NOVUS polish for acrylics if washing with warm soapy water does not remove them.

4 Likes

thanks for the reply! I did it again with the plastic masking on and it came out great! I now want to learn how to cut the shape of the circle and add lines that will make it fit directly on to the led base

1 Like

That was me. :wink: And yes, the non-gel kind.

1 Like

Actually I use the cheap little sample sizes they give you when you’re in the hospital – I figure it’s probably more abrasive than the name brands you buy for home use, but that’s just a theory. (Unfortunately I have plenty of them around, due to our advancing age.) :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: