Snapmarks issue maybe?

If one is patient, I’ve seen them as low as $60 with the mail-in rebate, including a pack of photo paper.

I own the big brother but it’s based off mostly the same technology.

Yea I’m trying to figure out how to get that price. I’m in canada so no US billing address even though I have a US shipping address.

test my file with the snapmarks in the middle and it was a different taper but still a taper. I think the lesson is that landscape is better than portrait for snapmarks currently if you can do it.

Ran a different file with the marks at the edges of the 8.5"x11" and it worked not perfectly but quite well. I saw some error at the bottom of the sheet and the snapmarks were at the top; so that is consistent with the other testing as well. So it looks like snapmarks are best placed in the middle and at the extreme edges that you can get. even if you need a jig that is only 4" wide it is worth making it at least 8" it seems

In all of the experiments I remember, I don’t recall any that were inside the design like you’re doing (I probably just don’t remember them).

I was able to set a design up like this and it worked great - actually was even more accurate than the base template file they sent over.

I don’t know the exact process of how the Snapmarks are working - it went through a few iterations of what worked and what didn’t, and it much better over time.

I may try a vertical version like that before redoing all the files I have setup. This is the results with the snapmarks close together but in the middle

1 Like

And my other test file. This ran nicely but I’m going to buy some legal size labels to print on next time instead. If I could find A4 thay would be perfect but alas the south screws up me working in metric again!

My guess is that the baseline accuracy is going to be something like the thickness of a printed snapmark line (if you’re printing) over the distance between snapmarks. So if you have a tiny baseline for the snapmarks and a big print…

if you can wait for 2 days (and have prime shipping), amazon has lots of a4 labels.

yea I did manage to find some glossy A4 there. Ordered so we will see quality when they get here this week. That will allow me to have my snapmarks in the center and quite wide. Legal isn’t a bad compromise though if I need to since the laser can use the whole 14" anyways.

@paulw you are probably right about that. I tried to find info about other visual systems that are available for trotec and epilog but no concrete numbers so far. They also use 3 registration marks instead of 2 which is interesting.