Snowspeeder Kit Model

Had a lot of fun cutting and building this one. 1/8" Baltic Birch, mostly friction fit but glued some pieces. Did require a bit of wood dowel as well. Really cool model from Thingiverse, can be found here:

If anyone else wants to make it, I did have to scale the parts-even though it says it’s scaled for 1/8" it did not open to scale for me in AI or CAD. I scaled it to have a pretty tight kerf.

46 Likes

Oh that looks cool. I thought about making this model like a year or two ago but didn’t want to do it because it used a dowel. What diameter is it? I may be able to come up with a dowel-free design now that I’ve been using my GF for a while.

2 Likes

Ah nevermind, I went on thingiverse, they’re 3/8", oh yeah this could be done with no dowels easy.

2 Likes

Yup, 3/8". I thought about doing it dowel free, but skipped it. Also, I used this Thingiverse remix to make the back end of the guns dowel free-the original design uses 3 different sizes of dowels. In the remix, it’s mostly correct, although you actually have to cut 4 of each of the smaller two rings (the ones that are between the ‘spiky’ parts in the file). I think maybe they were anticipating you still printing some of them from the original thing?
Remix link:

FYI, the original designer also has a sweet looking X-wing model with working wings. ~200 pieces-that one is up next for me but I gotta scale the parts and lay them out for best sheet use:)

4 Likes

That. Is. AWESOME!!!

1 Like

Very nice!! I love building models. I love Star Wars. You have made my life complete!

1 Like

WOW! that’s impressive! well done!

1 Like

That is amazing! Well done.

1 Like

Very well done.

1 Like

Looks really neat! Nice way to spend home time.

1 Like

Thanks! I normally work from home, but with my wife working from home too now, I’ve been doing at least some of my work in the basement next to the GF. Might as well cut stuff while I’m down there!

4 Likes

very cool! This is definitely going on my list to make very soon!

1 Like

thanks i did have that 1 to made it

1 Like

Still great, I should come back to this. #necrogame