So many ideas!

I actually just paid 2300 dollars yesterday morning to get her an emergency root canal and crown (she was in intense pain - apparently the last filling in that tooth had gone into the pulp chamber of the tooth and killed it). Even with the additional current and future expense associated with saving her beautiful teeth, she has still forbidden me from thoughts of returning the Glowforge :wink:
Not that I would want to, but my wallet has been threatening me with committing seppuku so I cannot spend anymore :wink:

5 Likes

When I was little I would get the hiccups every christmas eve and never be able to fall asleep. It made the night seem so long. Kinda like how long weve been waiting nowā€¦ so glad I dont have the hiccups haha

5 Likes

Maybe you will get the hiccups when you get the tracking email? Weā€™ll expect an update on this comment. :grin:

3 Likes

Luckily the outcome of those christmas tribulations was my inability to get more than 1 or 2 hiccups in a row. The most Ive had in the last 20 years was 4 in a row. I put it in my calendar to keep a record lol

Hiccups are awful things. They kill some folks, yikes!! Glad you havenā€™t had the hiccups since you purchased the Glowforge.

1 Like

She knows how much the forge means to you, and would not allow herself to be the reason your dream gets smacked down. Not going to happenā€¦ and she also knows you would drop it on the ground for her.
Itā€™s that mutual support that gets you through the rough spots. We just celebrated our 37th anniversary last night!

I was watching a show on very rich people, and their biggest fear in life was that they would outlive their money.
I laughed, because I do that on a monthly basis! Not a big deal.
In retrospect, all of the time I have spent worrying about the bills amounts to the biggest waste of time I ever indulged in. Itā€™s like paying interest on a debt you may never owe.
I was self employed so there was never that guaranteed check. I finally decided "Look, i made it to 40. Ill make it to 41."
That was 20 years ago.

I understand financial anxiety, but thatā€™s periodically ongoing. Money comes and goes. The pain of expenditure will pass, after these months of waiting that 2k seems like it never existed.
I expect you will see a lot of her beautiful smile as you shower her with lasered gifts (she knows that too) :smirk:

7 Likes

Right on! We were in assimilate situation recently. It was coming to the point where I might have to drop the GF just to cover rentā€¦ We held out and I am glad that we did because I got a job and it worked out. I know that my wife worries about the finances (though it was her decision to buy the GF, and her being adamant that we werenā€™t going to cancel that order) but I try to worry as little as possible. The debt you pay to stress is far worse than any debt owed to man.

3 Likes

:slight_smile: Wow you do know how to hit the nail on the head. You are absolutely correct about the money too. The things that we have paid for might mean Iā€™m eating Ramen noodles and vegetable bouillon for the next year, but both the laser and her teeth are far more valuable than the money spent. Congratulations on your 37th anniversary!!! Iā€™ll do my best to survive until 26 :wink:

3 Likes

Best wishes to you both on your anniversary! My husbandā€™s 75th bā€™day was yesterday and today is our 47th anniversary. Spring is and always has been prime wedding timeā€¦not to mention birthing time. My 2k for the Glowforge has not existed since the day I clicked on the buy button. So, worst case scenario, I would be ā€˜richerā€™ by 2k if I had to cancel my order.

6 Likes

to @printolaser and @Xabbess

Edit: this picture frightens me just a little bit

6 Likes

Hahahaha!
That picture is me on the forum! Perfect.

That is solid truth @chadmart1076!

@dhanvinddvs, Raman noodles and I go way back! Bouillon! Breakfast of champions.
Thanks man.

Happy Anniversary @Xabbess! And thank you.
47!! First day of Spring was her choice (easy for me to remember) but in '79 it was on a Wednesday, and interfered with peopleā€™s ability to attend, and most thought it was weird.
In my mind there is an historical meaning to the date. For thousands of years it has been an important threshold for humansā€¦ doubly so for me!

3 Likes

My grandfather had a similar saying about anger that really works for any longstanding negative emotion ā€œGetting angry is about as effective as drinking poison and waiting for someone else to dieā€ so yeah, the stress is costly :slight_smile:

3 Likes

ā€œBeing wronged is nothing - unless you continue to remember itā€

This lesson took me a long time. I finally realized that when I let go of anger or animosity, I wasnā€™t so much doing them a favor by forgiving - I was setting myself free.
Drop that nasty baggage.

And @chadmart1076, since I derailed your thread way back thereā€¦
My ideas are piling up too! I expect the forum will light up when units ship out. There is a tidal wave of creativity here pent up begging expression!

3 Likes

@dhanvinddvs, as per your picture, got a notice ā€œOut of Loveā€ badge. No more to be givenā€¦
My work here is done.

2 Likes

Ha ha! I can see why that might frighten ANYone! Thank you.

What do you think the reaction would be if it were a man instead of a woman?

4 Likes

Since I helped derail, One of the things I would like to do with the combination of the GF, the mini metal foundry [modified of course - Iā€™m almost done building the one described in the video with sand and plaster (ended up splurging for an actual ceramic crucible and I made the foundry a little bigger to compensate) and then I have high temp Mizzou Plus refractory mix for the next model], and the wide variety of hand tools I have (add whatever else I find I need) is build my own ā€œhobbyā€ CNC machine

4 Likes

equally frightening

Your wife-to-be surely had some reasoning going on with the date. My husband chose our wedding date to be the day after his birthday. Iā€™ll never know if it was to aid memory or just because he thought it would be a cool combo. Fortunately, our wedding day was on a Sat.

6 Likes

I understand one of the co-founders built a multifunction CNC unit in his garage.
Iā€™m sure his expertise figured prominently in the Glowforge.
Having been down that road, he would be a good source of information if he had the time - but wait until the 'forges shipā€¦no distractions!!:cop:

2 Likes

Our wedding date was set exactly one month after my Birthday due to my wifeā€™s inability to remember it.:slight_smile:

3 Likes