SO3 vs. Shaper vs. Crossfire?

Well, for one thing, I can go from concept to cutting in about half the time as on my gantry machine.
For another, I can work on anything cutable anywhere. Need to cut a butterfly to repair a hardwood floor? try that with a gantry machine.

2 Likes

Primarily because it would allow me to more easily handle large pieces and it’s portable. I had been planning on increasing the table size of one of my gantry machines, but the Shaper would eliminate that need; allowing me to keep the smaller table size to maintain more rigidity for many of the jobs I run on the gantry machine.

1 Like

Okay, I did it. Now I get to wait for another sort of crowdfunded thing :slightly_smiling_face:

My son was excited when I talked to him about it so I have a partner in crime :blush:

I will have to run a 50A 240V circuit into the garage for the plasma cutter. At least I have until Sept to do that. I expect that’s a pretty safe delivery date since they already have delivered a first batch (or are pretty close - if they miss that delivery it would likely impact the 2nd batch).

Their forum isn’t as active and fun as this one :grin:

3 Likes

Alright, now you’re committed to discussing it at least once when you receive the unit!
:wink:

I’ll have to start a Crossfire thread like the SO folks have :slightly_smiling_face:

Any other Crossfire peeps here?

I was seriously considering a CNC plasma rig after using one free-hand for years, then I tripped over a link to glowforge.

The ultimate setup would be one like glowforge founder
CTO Mark made, able to switch tools. Think plasma, milling, laser, 3D printing, welding, surrface grinding… a CNC with a spectrum of tools at it’s disposal.

My son was a welder before getting into computer security so he knew what it was. His old shop had wanted to do plasma cutting but could never justify the cost of a commercial unit on any job. They should have invested in one anyway and it would just have paid off on a bunch of jobs instead of just one. A CNC plasma cutter was a mind blower for him :slightly_smiling_face:

I figure the cutter they have will do (I checked reviews on it) and if I get serious then it’ll be another couple/three grand for a pro cutter.

1 Like

We gave a pro model plasma cutter to my kid brother one year for Christmas…it was something he’d always wanted so the whole family got together and I found a deal.

He used the damned thing three times before completely losing interest. You’re probably better off with the CNC model.

(Now, the one I could see using one is @mpipes. He’s got that uber-fancy car build going.) :wink:

2 Likes

My son got a ‘Go Torch’

Google Photos

and coupled it with the torch of my dreams, ‘Hyper therm’
Powermax 45. My little 25 amp drag-tip torch maxed out at 3/16" his will blow through 1".
That frame it is sitting on he built into a down draft table.

I remember using an oxygen/acetylene cutting torch, and a plasma torch is another world in comparison. You will have a lot of fun with that rig.

4 Likes

That’s what I figure - I’m not great at anything that requires good hand-eye coordination or fine motor skills :grin:

That’s the one I was looking at as an alternative but then figured I’d make it my 2nd torch instead in case I don’t find cool uses for it.

2 Likes

I can very much see myself with a cnc plasma cutter but not this year.

1 Like

Well since they haven’t delivered batch 1 yet (about a month away according to their posts & pics) it’s possible batch 2 might not be this year (which is what I always assume when crowdfunding). :wink:

But it’s going to make me work on my Fusion 360 skills as that’s what they use (although it’s just DXF going into Mach 3). Technically I should be able to use any 2D program to create the DXF files.

I should be able to turn all sorts of my laser stuff into aluminum & steel just by saving as DXF instead of SVG. It does look like they use SVG to engrave.

The horror of it is there doesn’t seem to be a reliable 0,0 - no limit switches? How can anyone design a CNC machine without those? It be so simple even a child could do it! :wink::grin: :popcorn:

2 Likes

Ded! :roll_eyes:

1 Like

It is funny - their forum has the same “I don’t know how to use Fusion” or Inkscape or any other software. And as many people pointing them to the tutorial in the manual (“Have you tried the tutorial starting on page 62 of the manual?” Answer: “No”) And the “there are lots of Fusion tutorials on YouTube”. :blush:

I must be old school but I’d never drop $2K for something without doing my research. On the other hand I just know it’s going to show up on time because I won’t have moved the 50A circuit and I’ll be pulling wires while the thing sits in its box in the garage because I procrastinated…:yum:

1 Like

I dont have much need but the parts I have needed, I sourced them out. I’m able to work out about the best deal possible because at my former employer I wrote the parts specs and vendor requirements for all components including plasma and laser cut parts. Maybe call it a gratuity for the preferred vendor status? :smiley:

Plus, I have handheld plasma cutters and a Shaper Origin… I could see an interesting mash-up coming. Bahahaha!!

After delivery their forum will be full of users asking “Why won’t it cut circular holes??” or other stuff that is known as the nature of the beast with plasma cutting.

Or they will wonder why it takes them 5 sets of consumable tips and cones per sheet of material.

The biggest thing the hobbyists won’t realize though until it’s too late, is HOW to move those big ass chunks of metal around without needing a hoist at the least or a forklift if they’re smart.

5 Likes

Do they really take 12kW?

Good ones do.

1 Like

Wow, using one while my wife had a shower would pretty much max out the supply to our house.

1 Like

Yep. But it’ll cut 1/2" steel cleanly and even more in a sever cut.

The air compressor, the control box and the control computer are all on another 120V circuit.

1 Like

Necroing this thread.

Just got my ship (as in going into the UPS truck, not ask me for my address) date for my Crossfire. It was supposed to ship in September.

Looks like it’ll be late - my date is October 1 :grin:

But the angst on their forum about delays and people who made business promises based on it are the same as here. People are the same the world over

I don’t think anyone here wouldn’t have loved to see their GF delayed only as long as the Crossfire was. Their first batch started shipping in June and they’ve been steadily delivering all summer.

2 Likes