Software Help

Can I use just the software that Glowforge offers without messing with Inkscape, Gimp etc.

That would depend on what you want to make.

1 Like

Thanks ekla, I guess I’ll just keep it simple and not worry about other software. I am not technically savvy in case you hadn’t guessed but I’ll give it my best shot.

Regards,

Marci

:slight_smile: We all start somewhere, you’ll get it in no time.

If you just want to personalize catalog items, other people’s tested files and simple shapes you can just use the GFUI. But if you want to make more complex things of your own design or get really good photo engraves you’ll have to learn a program for vectors and one for raster/bitmaps.

1 Like

Thanks for the info. Right now I think I’ll keep it simple until I learn what the heck I’m doing. I’m going to keep your info and who knows maybe I’ll come up with something outstanding, sure hope so. I really appreciate your time.

Take care and stay safe.

Regards,

Marci
tikilou@cox.net

2 Likes

Marci,
Make sure you go through the initial tutorials and first prints. This is a great place to start.

3 Likes

The GFUI design tools can really take you far with your projects. But they are premium features that are being trialed and will subsequently cost. Not sure what all the costs and capabilities will be, but Inkscape is free and doesn’t tie you into a subscription. That’s my analysis.

The premium design features might be worth your while since they are simple and work and would require less messing with if all you are doing is adding text and a few images to materials that don’t need much further cutting or processing.

However, manipulating texts so that they can go on a path or skew to a specific shape, Those would only come with a more powerful design program.

2 Likes

Hi @tikilou I see that we have responded to you via email, so I’m going to go ahead and close this thread. Thanks!