Software is horrendous

For days now everytime I try to run a job, the app either crashes and closes, or it just gives an error; All jobs I’ve done in the past without problems. You should know how awful this is for a business to try and run without access to the web based software. It’s the biggest flaw with glowforge and the reason that laser groups are leaving glowforge by the hundreds and warning all potential buyers to buy chinese or other. Plans for a larger, faster and more efficient laser are drawing nearer. Not that it matters because you’ve already got my money, but you should seriously consider getting this sorted.

Use a desktop or laptop PC instead?

AFAIK you will have to if you move to lightburn or any of those anyway.

I am using a PC? “App” as in the web based app – “app.glowforge.com

Got you.

To save yourself some instant heartache - switching to a different browser might help you right now.

2 Likes

The software is a webpage. If it is crashing it is a local problem, not a server problem. I see everything you are reporting as local issues, not Glowforge issues. If you would like to provide specific detail we can try to break those down into what may be local only and what may be server based. Note that if you are seeing a problem that is isolated to you specifically and isn’t widespread, it isn’t likely to be a Glowforge issue.

7 Likes

This^^
Besides connection integrity it is possible for a file to cause a failure.
If you were to post your file here we could eliminate that as the problem.
The date, time, and time zone can help support zero in on the machine logs. They could then evaluate the machine’s performance.

For 4 years my laser has worked every time with the same software. Once when it wouldn’t finish preparing a file it was because of an error in how I built the file.

Moral is that there are other factors outside of the user interface that can cause problems, so it is best not to assume a fault with the machine or the software.

Methodical troubleshooting can nail down the issue, the community here can help you.

Want to start with the file?
If you don’t want to post it here, you can send it to support for them to check it out.

The first standard step for support to qualify the machine’s operation is to print a known file. They will ask you to print the “Gift of Good Measure” on proofgrade material with default settings. Give that a try and see what happens.

6 Likes

I am cutting a file I cut this morning with no issue. Didn’t reload the file, simply reopened it from the homepage and hit print. I am consistently getting either “the webpage has stopped responding” or “error please refresh your glowforge”. It took 3 hours this morning for it to finally load, and then it finally cut. Nothing changed.

1 Like

I am sorry you are having issues, but it is probably a local user problem. I have been running my Glowforge without problems all afternoon - and for the last 3 1/2 years.

2 Likes

This definitely sounds like an issue with your internet connection.

5 Likes

You need to post a video as something is not right, and many can help you but the video is a must.

@kaiceetarvin I’m so sorry to hear the Glowforge app keeps crashing.

We need a bit more information to investigate.

• Information about the browser you are using.
  • A screenshot of the error you are getting.

Please do the following:

1. Go to https://www.whatismybrowser.com/
  2. Look for the header that says “Your web browser’s unique URL”
  3. Click the button that says “Copy URL to Clipboard”
  4. Reply to this, and paste in the link provided

If possible, could you please send me a screenshot of what you see in the Glowforge app when this happens? Make sure to include the rulers in your screenshot and show as much of the bed as possible

To take a screenshot:

• Mac: Press Shift-Command-4 and click and drag a box around your image. You’ll find the screenshot file saved on your desktop.

• Windows: Click on the Start Menu and type “snipping tool”. Open the Snipping Tool > New then click and drag a box around your image. Click the Save icon and name and save your file.

This will help us understand the circumstances around your error so we can work on it for you.

1 Like

Yes, it is frustration that being web based, if there is any issue with the browser you are using, or your internet cache, that will affect the performance. Or if there is some faulty wifi equipment somewhere that is affecting your own system (if you have Comcast, I forget the terms, but it’s happened to me).

I used to always run on my GF on Firefox, but had some buggy stuff after one of their updates, and switched to Chrome for a while, but have been OK again on Firefox for the last year or so.

But you need to clear your internet cache–the more you use it (for GF and other things) and larger files, the more often you need to do basic computer house keeping to eliminate that as a source of errors in uploading or printing jobs. The GF is more sensitive to this than many of your other programs in your PC.

There are indeed pros and cons to the way the GF operates, but there are a lot of benefits to the GF being web based, not just negatives, but depending on your business needs, you indeed may be better served by another product and configurations.

Hi @kaiceetarvin - it’s been a while since we’ve heard back from you. I’m going to go ahead and close this topic for now. If you still need assistance please reach out to us at support@glowforge.com for assistance.