Solid Fitting for Exhaust Hose

I Glowforged a hook to hang the end of my exhaust hose high on the garage wall. Attached it to the hose with duct tape. Worked great for about a month, then the duct tape slid off the hose and the hook. Reattached with duct tape. Worked for a few days then slipped apart again.

Decided I needed to find a more solid fitting for the end of the exhaust hose. Lo and behold my local big hardware store (Orchard Supply) had a promising contraption in black plastic: Prinsco Corrugated Internal Snap Coupler, 4 Inch.

What’s great about this is that it’s designed to screw into the kind of hose the GF uses. A few turns and it snugs up to the hose. No more wimpy deformable hose end.

So I screwed it in, then drilled two holes through the hook and the Prinsco fitting to attach them together. Two small bolts, two nuts and it’s gonna stay put.

5 Likes

These are super cheap and as secure as any other clamp I’ve used in automotive world.

2 Likes

When you said it screwed in, I was hoping that it sealed the ‘threads’ of the tubing, but I see it only has a number of spigots.
At least it does give you a secure fitting.
Now wondering if I can use the forge to create a fully threaded adaptor !
Possibly use it to make a mould, then cast a PU fitting.
:thinking:

John :upside_down_face:

Hmmm… perhaps a locking collar/flange setup?

1 Like

That covers the locking problem nicely, but I’m more concerned with the spiral tunnel that the wire in the flexible tube creates when you push it over a smooth cylindrical surface.
No matter how hard you tighten a clamp over it, that wire acts as a spacer.
Smearing a load of caulk would probably do the trick, but it would be nice to have a more universal solution.
Perhaps a silicone rubber moulded sleeve between the two is necessary.
John :thinking::upside_down_face:

1 Like

Got it.

For those wondering what we’re talking about, here’s a photo, with hook attached. The protrusions around the circumference thread into the 4-inch spring of the exhaust hose (the fitting is symmetrical; the bottom part is screwed into the hose).

1 Like

Mother of holy over-engineered god…

You could hang your GF from the ceiling with that!

2 Likes

don’t say that someone will try, and then complain when they can’t reach high enough to push the button.

3 Likes

… and can you imagine the mess from the scraps when you open the lid?

3 Likes