Solid Orange Light and Focusing

While doing an engrave the other day my machine stopped in the middle of it and I got an orange light. I thought it was strange at the time because it was not hot at all in my shop and I had just finished the exact same print a few minutes prior so this was a repeat. I walked away from it for about 5 days and now when I turned it back on today I’ve the same thing going on. It says ‘focusing’ and the solid orange light is there again. I’ve taken it apart to clean it, made sure my connections are good and my pins are all in place as I saw recommended on other posts here. I’m kind of baffled by this, any advice? I’m wondering if I need a new belt as I noticed there are some worn spots on it and my machine is one of the original ones so it’s several years old. Anyway, if anyone has a solution I would so grateful!

1 Like

Remove your print head and clean the 2 small windows on either side of the main lens. It doesn’t take much stuff on these lenses to cause problems on your laser. Let us know if this fixes your problem.

3 Likes

Take a close look at your cables, especially the one that goes to the head - make sure there aren’t any bends or breaks in the plastic coating.

3 Likes

Thanks for this - I do think maybe my cable is worn out. There are a couple of spots where it’s worn and bent, I have noticed recently but it still worked fine up till now. If this is the problem I think maybe I’ll contact support and see if I can order a new one.

1 Like

I do routinely clean this - usually multiple times a day when I’m in production as I know it gets dirty frequently.

If Glowforge won’t sell you one, there’s a guy selling them on Etsy here: Glowforge Laser Head Ribbon Cable - Etsy

2 Likes

Oh that’s interesting! Thanks for the heads up!

1 Like

Those two lenses being dirty caused me to have the orange light a couple of weeks ago.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.