Solving problems with the Glowforge part 1

Hi all. I have just finished renovating my basement, and the Glowforge has been helping me finish off some of the last few tricky items.

For the renovation I used a number of salvaged items, including two salvaged wood and glass doors that were formerly used as sliding closet doors. (I don’t know who would tear out these doors, they would have to be crazy. But I guess I’m lucky there are crazy people out there.) I decided to install one door as a sliding bathroom door, and to hang the other as a standard swinging door on the bedroom.

Once the door was hung it looked great, with one little problem. We had to take out the old sliding handle, and install a standard handle. This left us with a large and unsightly hole around the new handle. Without a Glowforge, figuring out a way to cover this hole would have been a major pain. With a Glowforge, it was an opportunity to add a fun detail to the space.

Since the hole was off center and oddly shaped, I needed to choose a design with an organic form. So I decided that it would be fun to highlight some local aquatic life. As always, designing and executing the art in Illustrator was by far the most time-consuming part of the project. Once it was ready to cut it only took about 15 minutes with the Glowforge to finish the project.

76 Likes

Excellent. That’s a cool solution :slight_smile:

5 Likes

very cool. Did Captain Nemo get the other side of the door? :slight_smile:

4 Likes

You made an octopus! Charming!

8 Likes

Wonderful! You are inspiring me to look around the house for warts to cover up with 'forged details.

3 Likes

Oh wow…hope you have more “problems” to cover up :smiley::smiley::smiley:

7 Likes

Now that’s an escutcheon! Very squee! :hedgie:

9 Likes

I LOVE this! Practical, fun, and very innovative.

6 Likes

:+1: Out of Likes! Love this approach. Great Idea.

3 Likes

Great solution. much better than a plain old plug.

3 Likes

This gives me lots of ideas to spruce up my place, thanks for the inspiration.

1 Like

Love this!! Great solution.