Some art wont load from design library

Does anyone have trouble opening an project from their design library? Some items just wont open. Yet, if I load them again I can print them, just not open them from the GlowForge design library interface. so random. :roll_eyes:

0 Likes

i should search more in the messages. this has been answered already. although not really satisfactorily. but answered.

0 Likes

I’m afraid I’ll need more information to better understand the trouble you’re running into. If possible, could you please send me a screenshot of what you see in the Glowforge app when you try to open one of those designs?

To take a screenshot:

• Mac: Press Shift-Command-4 and click and drag a box around your image. You’ll find the screenshot file saved on your desktop.

• Windows: Click on the Start Menu and type “snipping tool”. Open the Snipping Tool > New then click and drag a box around your image. Click the Save icon and name and save your file.

Reply with the screenshot, and we’ll be happy to take a look.

0 Likes

Designs are in a persistent state of saving. It will ultimately be left in the state it was in when you exited out of the design.

If it’s a Glowforge provided file, you can reset the design.

If it’s a user-provided file, you’ll need to upload it again.

1 Like

seems like a defect. Glad my backup service doesn’t behave that way. I mean what’s the purpose of the design library if I can’t trust that designs will be loadable later? Other comments suggest keeping a copy locally. ya definitely a good idea. :smirk: still I :green_heart::blue_heart: my glowforge! :smiley_cat:

0 Likes

What happens if you delete the contents out of your Word doc and save it?

3 Likes

Any changes you make to your file in the GUI is automatically saved. If you don’t want to make any changes to a file and want to maintain a “master” copy in your library, just use to provided option to open a new copy. Problem solved.

1 Like

the same thing that happens when I intentionally delete the word document. The data goes away. But thats not really what’s happening here. is it?

0 Likes

If you delete a part out of a design, the design is saved without that part. The GFUI assumes you didn’t want it there – else you wouldn’t have deleted it.

If you download a file from the catalog, it works the same way. Delete a part, it’s not going to be there the next time you open that project in your library. But since it came from the catalog, you can restore it back to how it is in the catalog. You paid for it, and you can’t save it to your hard drive, so they provided a way to fix it if you break it in the project space.

Your own designs aren’t in the catalog. The project space isn’t a backup service – you’re expected to keep your own backups, on your hard drive, or wherever. The project space is a working space. There’s no catalog to restore from, so if you want to reload a project, you have to reload it from your hard drive.

2 Likes

so, like @jbmanning5 tried to tell me earlier. wow. i’m dumb. :flushed: sorry. I’m an idiot. I never even realized that was what was happening, but it makes sense.
Thank you.

3 Likes

I’m glad you resolved it! I’m going to close this thread. If you run into any other trouble, please start a new topic, or email us at support@glowforge.com. We’re here to help!

0 Likes

closed #12
0 Likes