Some more layered artwork

Well Fluffins! Can I call you Fluffins? You really hit the nail on the layered art work head. Great job! Just curious how long something like that takes.

Exellent stuff, really well executed

Ohmygosh, your work is always breathtaking and these do not disappoint!

Holy cow! These are amazing!

Beautiful works of art.

Wow!

Congratulations @Fluffins_McDickers, Exquisite detailed work.
The quality of the creations of this community never cease to amaze me!
I look forward to your future work.

Yes, I agree with @ellingtonmd, do please share your technique if possible, or just outline the general idea.

2 Likes

VERY nice! Love the engraved frames!

Those are amazing!

OMG! That is so awesome!

Sure thing, one of these days Ill do a youtube video or something. Ive had a lot of requests for this type of stuff. The process is relatively simple just really time consuming and requires patience… luckily both may be available in the quarantine era. The next project I do I will catalog some of the process with pics to pass the idea along, so ill let you know.

5 Likes

Fluffins is just fine… hes actually the family cat, the real inspiration for all of this :slight_smile: Project length depends on the complexity of the image and how many layers I want to have, for instance the owl project took a lot longer to plan because of the intricate facial cuts. The photoshop work on that one took a couple hours. The frames I already had and just converted to shadow boxes, so that probably took about an hour for all three. If I CNC the frame designs, that can take about 8-12 hours on the CNC depending on the size and design. I switched to cutting almost exclusively on acrylic and ditched engraving unless it’s specifically requested. It costs more but I can cut out an entire frame worth of material within about 30 minutes. The images are printed on standard printer paper, but I coat the paper with polyurethane if I want a satin look, or epoxy if I want a gloss feel. The epoxy, paper, and acrylic is cut at the same time if that makes sense. Ill include some pics of the process in my next project.

5 Likes

Sure thing, one of these days Ill do a youtube video or something. Ive had a lot of requests for this type of stuff. The process is relatively simple just really time consuming and requires patience… luckily both may be available in the quarantine era. The next project I do I will catalog some of the process with pics to pass the idea along, so ill let you know.

1 Like

Thick photo printer paper on acrylic backing with a thin coat of satin poly. I use acrylic because its faster to cut and the paper tends to burn on wood if it’s thicker than an 1/8th of an inch (or a hardwood). Honestly though, you can use whatever you wish

Thanks! I bet you will have sparked some creative ideas with you process. That’s for sure!

image001.jpg

Beautiful !!

Absolutely incredible woks of art.

1 Like

Those look great

Wow! Those are stunning!