Someone want an ambitious inlay project?

Here, go make something with this. :slight_smile:

hexwave

Let me know if you do, I’d like to see if someone takes it on.

(Direct download link, right click and save as…)

22 Likes

Might be fun as a lamp cut out :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

I’m going to tackle a small inlay project very soon (one can hope), and also want to pick up some resin to top off some engravings. Just need to pop by my local Amazon.

4 Likes

Looks too much like the exhaust cover.

5 Likes

You first! You’re the only one I know that has a sufficient collection of exotic woods to do a proper ombré wave.

2 Likes

I’ve got a long weekend comin’ up…I wonder how small I could make this :thinking:

2 Likes

Well, I included the raw grid of hexes, so fee free to remix it as you like. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Sometimes I think you like to torture us - in a friendly way - that is! :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Well, I worked up the pattern, then decided it wasn’t what I wanted. I thought it was a pretty cool pattern though, so I offer it up here in case someone else can get some use out of it. As an inlay project it would be a lot of fiddling to inlay that many hexagons, but it could look really cool.

It might be a good candidate for a resin inlay, or even counter-engrave faced inlay that you then sand one side until the pattern is revealed (never tried that method, but it’s theoretically sound). I dunno, maybe nobody will get any use out of it, but you never know. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

It is nice… and we’re all wondering it would have been even nicer if you showed us your finished product! Thanks for sharing the design which you no doubt worked on for quite a while.

Sooooo… while I’d like to say yes I toiled and strained over this, a pattern like this takes about 20 mins to make, even with kind of feeling it out as I go.

The basics:

Create a hexagon. I do it manually because I think the polygon tool in inkscape is not as accurate.

Use tiled clones with a scaling percentage to make a few copies. I did 1x5 clones at 15% increase X and Y for each column. Now you have your hexes.

Create an axonometric grid in your document in the page preferences. Set the size of the grid to meet your needs.

Turn on center snapping, turn off other snapping. Align your hexes to the grid. Group and copy/paste as needed.

It’s a pretty straightforward process, with no real trick to it.

5 Likes

For you maybe… :rofl: the rest of us would toil much longer…

2 Likes

Someone makes custom speaker grilles for cars, I just don’t remember who (I haven’t searched yet before you think it :rofl: )
It could make for a great custom formed speaker cover or even maybe an interesting layered piece. I can see 4 layers easily possible based on the varying thickness layers.

3 Likes

I do have a bunch of fancy speakers about that might make it interesting.

Fancy covers might look great in fancy brushed aluminum acrylic :thinking:

1 Like

I was thinking something more walnut like…

2 Likes

Ooh. Let me get through everything going on this weekend, I’m feeling this one. Resin no?

1 Like

You tell us! However you want to make it is all good. Feel free to change it however you like too, the source file is yours for the modding.

1 Like

1/8" Walnut (Rockler) and PG med clear acrylic press-fit only, heavy lacquer for moisture protection as I’ll be using it as a coaster.

9 Likes

Awesome! @eflyguy This turned out Great!

1 Like