Someone you wish you could share your GF with

I hope a lot of people will share someone they are excited to share the GF with. I wanted to honor someone who I will miss out on sharing it with. My grandfather passed away, we spent every summer from the time I was born until I was 18 together. Seen him on weekend after that up until he passed away right after Christmas. He was the greatest man I ever knew, not saying that because it’s the nice thing to say but because it is true. He took the time to teach me everything from how to tie my shoe to how to drive. My papaw was truly a one of a kind man who lived to work with his hands. Made a living working on tv’s but had a passion for making things from nothing. His last project was a guitar for my daughter, he made it out of a cookie tin and scrap wood in his garage.

He was a WW2 vet and burried in a family grave beside his brothers and mom and dad. Love you and miss you papaw!

That’s wonderful. He sounds like an incredibly nurturing and caring man. I wish he was still around to enjoy the fun with you.

I’d love to share my Forge with my Uncle Richard. He and my aunt were my informal foster parents when I was in high school, and going to live with them was the single best thing that ever happened to me. He was born in the deep South to parents who barely got out of high school, but he went on to become an incredibly skilled technical illustrator who mentored a ton of at-risk students and helped found a women’s crisis center. He had a ton of style–he dressed out of the very classy catalogs intended for gay men and always had fantastic shoes–and he was the person who got me into classic cars. He loved to build and design beautiful things, and made everything around him, from his house to his technical drawings, filled with imagination and humor and beauty.

My great-uncle Len.
He was an engineer, an inventor, a tinkerer, a machinist, and a Navy vet. Always avid about any new project or endeavour that I might undertake, eager to figure out better ways to do things.
The company he worked for never stopped calling him even after he retired, because he knew how to use tools and tooling and materials that the current generation of workers couldn’t even name. If you have ever escaped freezing at a remote winter bus-stop that had a timer-controlled heater, you can thank my uncle Len.
In his early 90s he would still call me up to ask about any problems i had or tasks that i was having difficulty with, so that he could come up with something that I could build to solve the problem. He had very bad shingles for many of his final years, but his mind was as sharp as razor to the very end.
The last time we spoke, he was in hospital. He had just come up with a new design for making a wind-powered battery charger for my solar home out of junkyard car parts. That was last year, about a week before he passed. He was 97.

Every time an old man dies, a library burns down.

I remember how I would run all over the yard and woods gathering dandelions and wild flowers in my tiny fist and excitedly present them to my Mother, who would smile and fawn over them like they were jewelry.

She was artistic, and I know she would have loved anything I presented her with, just as she did those weeds.
I am a Grandfather now, but I will always be her little boy. :sparkling_heart:

Our daughter Hayley was stillborn this past Christmas Eve (at 7 months). One of the reasons I was so excited for the GF was to make things for her and for her room. So receiving my GF will be bittersweet, for sure.

Very sorry to hear that, could not imagine the pain you are going thru. Will pray for you and yours

That just makes me cry. I am SO sorry for your loss.

Oh my @Mike13. My deepest sympathies. So good of you to share that experience with us. I know in my pastoral work the Glowforge will be a big part of making lasting tokens of important events and people. My grandfather Alois was a machinist. I never knew him when he worked. I just have a few t-socket wrenches he fabricated somewhere along the line. My mom says he could fix anything. He was a blacksmith in WWI. I really feel that he passed on something in his genes to give me such a tool obsession. I would love to sit down with him at a Glowforge. He was fairly skilled at drafting too and I wonder what he could show me with such a tool as this.

This is my daddy. He was so good about repairing any and every thing around our house while I was growing up. I’m sure in this photo he is repairing something . He loved coming up with ways to use and reuse stuff and invented little things to accomplish certain tasks. He would show me how to use different tools and helped me build a wooden centerpiece candleholder that I had seen in a catalog. I didn’t want to buy it…I wanted to make one of my own…and we did. He passed away over 30 years ago and I see things every day that he would have been a marvel to him. The Glowforge would be high on that list. Sure do miss that dad of mine.

My father In law was a handy guy that could fix anything. He was a gadget guy that was always looking at new technologies.
My mom was that artist and handy person in the house growing up.
We lost my father in law just a few years after we got married. My mom died when I was a senior in high school.
Both of them would have had a blast playing with the Glowforge and i would enjoy just watching them.

After rereading the original post and question…I realize that I didn’t answer quite correctly. I still stand by wishing my dad could see and play with the Glowforge, but the correct answer is that I am excited to share the fun and excitement with my son-in-law, Bill. He’s a mechanical engineer and inventor. He’s the one who has been helping me get my space together to accommodate the Glowforge when the time finally comes. Bill will be excited to try some ideas of his own and I will have fun watching him…and expect to be able to learn a lot while hanging out with him in my ‘laser pantry’.

I’m so very sorry, @Mike13–my heart is with you and her mother.

Mine’s my dad. He passed away about a year-and-a-half ago after a fight with lymphoma. Also just before Christmas (and his birthday.) Lymphoma fights dirty, by the by. He was 60, I think. He was also a veteran. Of the first Gulf War, though. Retired an Air Force Major and is buried, in part, with his father, who died even younger than he did. (Hopefully young{ish} deaths does not end up being a trend!) Greatest guy I ever knew. I can only hope my daughter feels the way I do about him with me. I’ll share the Glowforge with her in his honor, though! He spent so much of his time fixing and figuring out things. That machine would have pulled out a lot of ideas from his busy mind!

My uncle. He was a tinkerer who never went to college. Fixed planes in the aleutians during ww2, worked for various engineering companies, got into integrated circuits back when you drew gates with rubylith and an exacto knife. He would have been tickled pink to see something like this available so easily.

And when it does come, the kids at my son’s school. They go through acres of cardboard and mat board every year making stuff, and my mind boggles to think what they could do with an easy-to-use precision tool.