Something new for Maker Faire

Yes, I have one I used with Inventor. A seasoned user makes model manipulation look magical, it’s so fluid.
Don’t think fusion 360 supports it though.

2 Likes

Limited. I do use the navigator to scoot around in it, but it sometimes locks up into zoom and I have to press the reset button to get it unlocked.

(Not sure what I’m doing to lock it up in the first place?)

2 Likes

Despite how large the screens are, I think it would be awesome if the keyboard arrow keys could be used to nudge the object up or down…something where you have a discrete motion (striking a key) resulting in discrete movements to the artwork. Would this be a possibility @dan? This wouldn’t work well on touch screens unless you had a little “arrow key gui” pop-up. Perhaps similar to how Illustrator works…SHFT+right moves it large increments to the right, versus just the right key moves it a small (user defined?.. 0.005") to the right.

8 Likes

Yes! I hate it when I need to make very fine adjustments with a mouse. End up having to zoom way in to very high levels of magnification and then mouse - but then I lose the perspective of the other stuff on the screen. A nudge key would be great.

4 Likes

I like the “nudge” idea a lot. Even more for tablets than desktops/laptops, because my fingers are old, and trying to get one hand in precisely the right place while holding the tablet with the other…

4 Likes

I forgot that this has been discussed further here, but I didn’t see any input from @dan regarding the arrow keys as being able to nudge the object.

1 Like

I know right ? They leave those tiny little footprints all over the screen ( and don’t get me started on the droppings…):mouse2: :grin:

5 Likes

9 Likes

I’m somewhat underwhelmed after reading this thread because the prospect of getting simple things like keyboard-based fine position adjustment is making everyone excited. Having designed industrial CNC controllers for many years, I suppose I assumed obvious things like that would be included. Fine adjustments are critical and making the user do it with a mouse is bad UX design. I designed an FPGA-based mouse that can be controlled by BT/WiFi/analog inputs specifically to overcome software decisions like this, but I don’t like the thought of using it especially for something that’s easy to solve with better UI/UX design decisions. It was intended to automate tasks on computers and devices without needing to install anything.

As an aside, setting a fine adjustment to a fixed amount instead of letting the user define it and/or scaling it with zoom level or duration of a keypress would be less than desirable. If you’re zoomed in enough to see features at the 1-10 mil level, fine adjustments should be very small compared to if you were zoomed all the way out.

This isn’t a huge deal obviously, but it conveys a lack of polish, which makes for frustrating experiences.

3 Likes

It works in Fusion 360, but I’ve had the lockup issues as well. Amazingly, it also works with OnShape too, even though it’s browser-based.

Fusion 360’s focus on keyboard shortcuts makes moving your hand back and forth between the keyboard and Spacemouse pretty inconvenient though, IMO.

2 Likes

Very well stated! Agreed on all sentiments and yes, when zoomed in, it should be scaled to a smaller value. Though, I’m not recalling a zoom function…do we know if this is possible? And how far can we zoom in? i.e. what is our field-of-view size…10mm x 10mm? Smaller?

1 Like
2 Likes

Exactly this. And standing hunched over while being jostled instead of being at a desk. Still very do-able, just a little more nerve wracking.

I don’t remember the model offhand, but we’ve used just about every kind of table successfully except the lightweight plastic tables. We’ve used those successfully too, but not with kids bumping them during prints. :slight_smile:

In the hopper!

That is definitely correct. There is an immense amount of polish that we look forward to adding in the next few months to the software - and beyond as well. Our focus right now is on delivering the functionality we told you we were going to deliver.

Yes! Works well, and was actually the way most people (like me; I have immensely shaky hands) used to get precise alignment when making these prints.

Again, not hard to do it well; just hard to do it well when there’s a huge line and people bumping into you and someone’s asking you a question and…

13 Likes

Thanks for the response @dan! I was hoping it wasn’t a hopper issue but with the zoom feature, perhaps it’s a non-issue! :slight_smile:

indeed

You can see the zoom feature in action in this video:

5 Likes

Asking for things like keyboard nudging seems a bit premature. That is fine tuning work, and since we don’t have anything in our hands at all… fine tuning is a little silly.

Granted, things which seem small and easy can surprise a programmer and actually be hard to implement. But until Dan said it is in the hopper… how would anyone have known that keyboard key nudging was NOT already a possibility?

4 Likes

It shouldn’t be too hard to do tbh. It’s built into most UI libraries. Pretty trivial actually

1 Like

Dan one thing that keeps me here is, hearing it is in the hopper.
Why, it is something that will be added one day that that was not in the original software. Making the machine better than the one we all purchased.
Just hope you guys will add (in the hopper) when a new feature is added we will get an email that says “we added ______ now, enjoy.” after the machines are shipped.

Thanks for the hard work, it was great meeting you guys in Seattle.

5 Likes

I would hope that it appears as a message in the interface, that way you will see it when you log on. This is the way fusion 360 does it.

3 Likes