Something new for Maker Faire

You misunderstand me…I simply must have one now! ROFL! :smiling_imp::wink:

9 Likes

Thanks, Joe. I see it now after changing the drop down selection.

I love the contrast between the technical precise vector cuts and the etching of the hand drawn text.

3 Likes

That’s what really impressed my friends that were there! even the small writing at the top has all the little imperfections of my 2-year old writing style.

3 Likes

It’s powered by the Green Lantern Corp. central battery.

1 Like

Yes. If they are separate colors, you can drag-and-drop rearrange them to change the order.

I believe it’s 10:30 EST Saturday, but @bailey can confirm for sure!

You are so very welcome!

5 Likes

When I got there, they had already stopped for the day. :frowning: Looked like the machines were still having a bit of trouble. Fingers crossed for December (2016).

2 Likes

Curious - what specifically led you to believe the machines were still having trouble?

2 Likes

Very little. Watching for a few minutes while they tried to get someone else’s tag going, it seemed at least like the software is still a bit fiddly. It also appeared to skip, but they were quick to declare loudly that the table had been bumped. It’s entirely likely that’s what happened, I don’t have instant replay vision. I’m probably just projecting my own fears and uncertainty, but I got this feeling like everybody at the booth was on edge. They were flipping between snapping at people for stepping over the invisible “I can’t let you any closer” line and all smiles and PR mode. In any case, the thrilling conclusion is mere months away, so I shall practice SERENITY NOW. :expressionless:

5 Likes

ROFL! I can just about guarantee that everyone at the booth was extremely on edge. (Shows are like that.) And everything that can possibly go wrong, does.:wink:

As far as the software being fiddly…again, not too terribly surprising. They were probably working with very fiddly artwork.

When they’ve had a few years of shows to get seasoned it will be a different matter, but most of these kids are probably still pretty new to doing the shows. :relaxed:

3 Likes

YEspecially since. Glowforge policy is that new employees attend the Faire.

4 Likes

Can confirm. Past shows we used screw-together Ikea furniture which we donated at the end of the show. The tables were ridiculously heavy and it took a team of four with power tools to assemble everything. It took 65 boxes (no joke) to move everything around.

This show we used collapsing tables which went up in an hour and were delightful - but were much lighter, and as a result had our first experience with bumps throwing off the engraving. People would wait an hour or more, then have their print ruined by someone jamming the table. Only constant vigilance could keep things moving.

That said, I apologize profusely for anyone on my team who snapped. That’s so unlike the people who worked here I can’t even tell you, but I also know how panicked everyone was about letting you all down because of something so silly. No excuses but I can imagine the pressure; I wish I could have been there to help.

I ran prints for a few hours at Re:Make in SF, and you’re actually designing the product on the fly (resizing and placing the engraving on the pattern) then aligning it with the material. Misalignment of a fraction of a millimeter is visible in the final product, so it’s definitely “fiddly” - not in the sense of the software being fiddly (the Makerfaire build was actually pretty darn robust) but in the sense of it being tricky to mouse precisely under pressure.

13 Likes

Makes perfect sense and thanks for the response. Also of note for us if we are going to do on the fly stuff quickly. @dan do you think a limiting factor that also came in to precise quick mouse placement was the use of smaller laptop screens or tablets where just a smidge is a mile vs if we use 22-30 inch monitors that’s some of the fickle mouse movement would be greatly mitigated?

2 Likes

Hadn’t even thought of that but it’s dead on - I couldn’t mouse on a tablet to save my life! :smirk:
(Hate 'em.)

2 Likes

Hate mice or tablets? :wink:

2 Likes

Hate trying to mouse on tablets, so the combination I guess. :smile:

(Been spoiled lately…3d Connexion Spacemouse with Navigator.)

4 Likes

Dan,

What IKEA tables had u used in past that worked well for supporting the glowforge? I need to ding a nice stable, cheap, table to host my glowforge when it arrives!! Thx!

1 Like

Yes, I have one I used with Inventor. A seasoned user makes model manipulation look magical, it’s so fluid.
Don’t think fusion 360 supports it though.

2 Likes

Limited. I do use the navigator to scoot around in it, but it sometimes locks up into zoom and I have to press the reset button to get it unlocked.

(Not sure what I’m doing to lock it up in the first place?)

2 Likes

Despite how large the screens are, I think it would be awesome if the keyboard arrow keys could be used to nudge the object up or down…something where you have a discrete motion (striking a key) resulting in discrete movements to the artwork. Would this be a possibility @dan? This wouldn’t work well on touch screens unless you had a little “arrow key gui” pop-up. Perhaps similar to how Illustrator works…SHFT+right moves it large increments to the right, versus just the right key moves it a small (user defined?.. 0.005") to the right.

8 Likes