Sometimes you really ARE too tired

Hi all. I needed to finish up a little “commission” (I’ve heard some of you use that word and I’m not sure what it means. I’m guessing it means “doing free stuff for family”? Am I close? Please let me know) for my sister tonight and, while I’m pretty tired from the day job, I figured I could knock it out.

Her boyfriend’s last name is Chambers, and she wanted “something with a demon face and ‘Torture Chambers’ on it”. It’s a ‘thing’ with him… I guess… I don’t know… let’s move on.

So, no problem. What kind of a gift do you make when you are tired and just need to get something done? That’s right, you make coasters, that’s what you do.

• Out to the web, grab some demon face.
  • Provide attribution per the request of the artist because you aren’t a monster {Free Vectors via www.vecteezy.com}
  • Pick a font in Inkscape, add the text, pull in the image, make it all vectors, add an outline to cut out a cardboard placement frame because camera calibration isn’t working for me and Support just emailed today saying they want to take back my beloved UrForge and send me a replacement. Don’t get me started…:sob:
  • Cut out that Frame and start scoring slate coasters!

At this point it hits you; the adrenaline from the realization that you’re making stuff and used, maybe, five brain cells. Heady.

So while those are cutting, I think, “well hell, I could make her a rubber stamp with this image to give him and he can stamp his little devil guy everywhere!” Yup, that’s how I think.

So as the last coaster is finishing, I update the image, shrink the whole thing down a bit, find the rubber stamp material, and hit print! 1 hour and 15 minutes. No problem. I’m running on UrForge Endorphins.

Finally finishes. I pull it out. It looks cool.

That’ll stamp awesome. But… wait… :no_mouth:

So. I’m cutting another one. It hurts too much to type why.

First commenter who calls it out gets a crisp High-Five.

Sometimes, you’re just too tired.

37 Likes

I’ll take that High-Five…

You fergot to reverse it.

hand up

14 Likes

:raised_hand:

8 Likes

I usually use “commission” for jobs that pay money. Everything else is a gift, a favor, or a “You come do it, I will help where you need it” project.

6 Likes

Everyone forgets to reverse the first one! (It takes real dedication to forget to reverse the second one too.) :smile::wink:

18 Likes

What the whaaa??? :laughing:

6 Likes

That’s the tragedy!! I’ve done this before! I KNOW better! (Well, clearly I don’t, do I?)

9 Likes

As some one who has done many free “commissions” for family members over the years, I really enjoyed the tone of your post.
I also think those coasters and the stamp turned out great (despite being reversed). Nice work!

7 Likes

Either you got some rest or your such a good story teller that you could pull of a nice little short story with that one remaining brain cell.
Great story
Nice coasters and stamp

I’ve really got to break into stamps.

6 Likes

Loved reading your story. Ya gotta keep a sense of humor, even when you’re tired, right? …right? Um…well, ya gotta try, anyway. Sleep well!

6 Likes

I’ve made a few (several) mistakes when I’m tired (too tired). Now I try to listen and stop, because I hate to ruin any materials. :cry:

2 Likes

Just call the stamp another coaster :smiling_imp:

3 Likes

You get high five just because…

4 Likes

It’s a confident person who can post their mistakes for all to see. Kudos for that.

7 Likes

Better idea: I’m going to mount it on a plaque and hang it over the Forge, as a constant reminder to not be a dope. :smile:

8 Likes

Well, let’s not kid ourselves, you’d all be hearing from me a LOT less if I didn’t.

7 Likes

I’ll take the kudos: that was all in-the-moment and on that one last brain cell. I felt the need to give an authentic rendering of the event, not sullied by rest and consciousness.

The bonus: I was able to read my own post this morning like: “Huh, so that’s what happened…”. I didn’t Like :blue_heart: it though; that UrJac guy seems like an idiot.

7 Likes

I have done that and then I fix the mistake in AI and then just forget to pull the new file into GFUI and hit print on the first again. LOL

Commission is for money… Nominteer is when someone volunteers you to make something for free. :rofl::rofl:

11 Likes

I think he was messing with us.

5 Likes

I know, I just love that a friend told me he Nominteered me to do something. Too good not to share. :wink:

8 Likes