Source for Ceramic Tiles?

Sorry if this is already addressed but is there a good source for ceramic tiles with finished edges. I bought some from my local Menards and love the engraved results, but the cheap ones I bought have rough edges. (like they are supposed to be mortared to a wall or something :slight_smile: ). Is there somewhere else to look for them or should I be asking for something different than just 4x4 tiles? Or maybe a finishing technique? I’m looking for something to make coasters.
Thank You
Terry

2 Likes

I get mine at Home Depot and Lowes runs me from .40 each to just over a dollar depending on the brand…

1 Like

Since nearly all tiles are meant to be mortared & grouted in place, it’s very rare to find any with fully glazed edges–some tiles come with “bull nose” edge, which is rounded and fully glazed to the edge to provide a nice outside corner for a shower wall. But only one side.

Best you can do it spend a lot of time at different stores and find a tile with the least rough looking edge, and not use the cheap 4x4 “field” tiles that come with the tabs on the edges (a feature so when installing them, you don’t need spacers, but not good for coasters).

I do recommend going to actual tile stores–a lot more options than regular big box home stores. And salvage places can be great, as well as Habitat for Humanity–occasionally you can find great stuff there.

6 Likes

Do they have all four finished edges? I would put felt or something on the back.

The ones i get yes. They do have some that don’t so you have to look…

1 Like

I place mine in a wood frame and purchase the tile at home Depot for .11 cents

12 Likes

Very nice. :grinning:

1 Like

I like that.

1 Like

You can get the frames from Maryland China WWW.MARYLANDCHINA.COM They also have some very nice ceramic coaster sets with a wood holder.

4 Likes

Also did a Sea Turtle engraving.

10 Likes

“Check your local listings” and see if you have a Habitat for Humanity “Restore” in your area. Check regularly. Experiment.

2 Likes

Oooo…. I do have a Restore close.

Hah. Went to the Restore the other day. No tiles, sadly, but I did find one random board with no price tag that looked like it had come from an old bookcase or something. I fell in love with it for a sign (haven’t decided on the perfect sign yet). The guy at the cash register gave me a hard time about it (jokingly) and then gave it to me for free.

4 Likes

I bought these tiles on the advice of another Glowforger. They don’t have the tabs on the sides.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Jeffrey-Court-Fresh-White-6-in-x-6-in-Ceramic-Field-Wall-Tile-12-5-sq-ft-case-96011/207089728

2 Likes

Oooh, nice! Has anyone tried engraving the flat ornaments or magnets from that site?

1 Like

Not yet but sound like a great idea.

Oh! I think that’s just what I’m looking for. I hope the 4.25" Sqr. do not have tabs. I think I will order a case (i.e. lifetime supply).

2 Likes

It always seems like plenty at the time… :sunglasses:. (Just sayin’)

2 Likes

This is what the edge looks like on the 6x6".

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Jeffrey-Court-Fresh-White-6-in-x-6-in-Ceramic-Field-Wall-Tile-12-5-sq-ft-case-96011/207089728

3 Likes

Much better than the tabbed stuff I was finding. Thank you for the photo!