Sources for quartersawn 1/8" hardwood?

I’ve been working on coasters made from two different 1/8" hardwoods glued together. Unfortunately, the wood is flatsawn and cups when the humidity goes up, which is not attractive. My remaining boards do the same. Does anyone know of a supplier of 1/8" thick quartersawn hardwoods? I’m primarily using yellowheart and wenge (the former is much more consistently prone to cupping), as well as bubinga. I just paged through a number of sites from a google search for quartersawn stock, but found very few options in good laserable sizes.

1 Like

Ocooch I think has some.

Try green valley wood products too.

I’ve used this vendor for 1/16" and occasionally 1/8". I see they have quartered sapele. I don’t know if sapele would be good for coasters or not, but I really love to work with it. It finishes well.

https://www.certainlywood.com/results-woodmenu.php?name=SAPELE&menu=1/8%20in.%20quartered

You have to buy by the sheet (panel), but they then cut to ship.

Sapele is pretty but can be tough to cut. Never tried 1/16, I bet it’s nice.

Thanks both. Ocooch has been my main source so far, but they have only white oak in quartersawn (at least right now). Didn’t find much at Green Valley either, unfortunately.

Certainly Wood had a lot of quartersawn stock, unfortunately most of it is the thinnest veneer. They do have done 1/16" and 1/8" in various woods, though, including wenge. I will keep an eye on their offerings to see if they serve up exactly what I’m looking for! Thanks for the tip.

These are my prototype coasters. Not a great image, but you can see the effect I’m going for and why I’m focused on getting warp-resistant yellowheart for the lower layer right now. (Figured it was about time I post something…)

12 Likes

Wow, the design and combination of woods is soooo beautiful Thanks for sharing! They’re fantastic!

1 Like

Try Kim Oberlin? He’s mentioned in lots of threads, he might have some.

1 Like

If you are close enough to a hardwood dealer, that can provide the material, you might be able to get one of their cabinet makers to resaw and sand to final thickness for you. I work for one, and thats what I’ve done in the past. I also use alot of 3/16ths in stock, and I just grab boards that are quarter sawn and cut them to thickness on my table saw. for coasters, you should be able to resaw that on most table saws by cutting it from both sides.

2 Likes

Very cool! I have played quite a bit with the Chartres Labyrinth and even have a virtual one for sale but I am curious why the path is not the inlay?

BTW If you want a real treat try your coasters out under UV light :partying_face:

2 Likes

Looked him up in some old threads. I’ll try contacting him; seems like a possibility, anyway!

Thanks! I really like the combination of dark and golden yellow. I’ve seen at least one piece here on the Glowforge forum using the same combo, and I’ve also seen them combined to make striking end tables…

This multipart reply may be more than you’re looking for, but it covers most of my reasoning!

• The yellowheart inlay defines the walls of the labyrinth rather than the path. The way I think of it, the path is the negative space created by the walls, so I wanted the path to be a continuous surface with the field in which the labyrinth sits (i.e., the wenge frame).
  • Defining the path negatively in this way makes the image as a whole just slightly more difficult to process. I prefer that because a (unicursal) labyrinth is some ways an illusion, i.e. it looks daunting and make the mind swim, but in fact navigating it is as simple as persevering/maintaining concentration.
2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.