Spider Habitat

Hello, Matilda! Nice house you have there. :wink:

1 Like

It has become a wonderful house. And great story too.

1 Like

Jumping spiders, it appears, are like potato chips. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Here’s the current lineup:

12 Likes

ya those brown recluse spiders are something to avoid to be sure.

we have those around us along with black widow spiders. fortunately it has been a long while since I saw either.

You really have to work to get a black widow to bite you. My dad picks them up and carries them around just to demonstrate that fact, and has never been bitten. And brown recluses are – well, recluses. They’d much rather run away than bite, if you’ll let them. Just gotta watch what you stick your fingers into, or where you step, and shake out any clothes you’ve left lying around, before you put them on.

1 Like

So true. I never “worry” about them. like some folks do. what is wild is that a daddy long legs has super deadly venom, they just can’t manage to bite people.

so it is basically good NOT to be a bug.

though black widow spiders look so dang cool. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Are you familiar with Ant lions? They make those funnel shaped pits in the sand? now those suckers are cool to observe. I have had a few in aquariums over the years when I was a kid.

1 Like

Funny you should mention that – I just took this video yesterday. Check out how far he hurls that dirt clod!

2 Likes

I had a couple in Mason jars on my bedroom windowsill when I was a kid – replaced the cap with screen that I screwed on with the ring part, and thought I was pretty slick for thinking of it. I fed them grasshoppers and they got all fat and sleek and shiny. Then one hatched out an egg sac and I discovered the babies could crawl right through the screen, and it gave me the willies, so I released them all back into the wild! I think my mom was probably greatly relieved. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

LOL, now that is a great coincidence. yes the distance they can throw the dirt is amazing. they talk about ants being strong, but holy smokes the hydraulics of that dirt launching has to rival that.

sooo… I was buying a lottery ticket tonight… (hoping that will pan out too. P)

years ago, I was talking to a friend at work about some obscure thing happening. and about a day later it happened. so figuring we had suddenly acquired predicitive powers, my friend as a single guy, went on to describe how he saved the Swedish Bikini team from some peril. LOL

2 Likes

As much as I hate spiders, that would never exist in my house! But I love the little house you built or Matilda! And I’m sure your hubby loves being able to see her in such a nice setting. But I hate spiders of all kinds, even daddy long legs! When we first moved to Nevada, we had a ton of them in the house. My husband worked graveyard shift, and he’d be going to bed when I’d be getting ready for work. I’d wake him up to come kill them in the bathroom or over my closet - I’d swear they’d be having conferences together to see which one would drop on me to freak me out, as wherever I’d go, they’d head to that side of the room! So nope, I don’t care if some spideers do eat other spiders and horrid things, I’ll kill (or have my husband kill) every one I see! I’d rather see snakes than a spider.

We had a friend who absolutely hated killing anything, even spiders and bugs. She kept a black widow in a mayo jar once, and woke up one morning to have literally thousands of babies running all over her kitchen. She decided that was enough, dumped the jar and killed all she could see.

2 Likes

Whodathunk

1 Like

Very cool habitat. I will admit it is the last thing I expected to see from a Glowforge project.

1 Like

UPDATE: It turns out Matilda is a boy. :rofl:

8 Likes

How do you know Matilda’s sex. You must have some awesome eyesight. :rofl:

4 Likes

Leaves the seat up.

14 Likes

:rofl::joy::rofl::joy::rofl::+1:

3 Likes

That is an amazing photo!

1 Like

Do you have the plans for this? I just got my first jumper and i want to make one for her. Customized on my end. Thanks!

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum! I am planning to add them to the catalog, but haven’t gotten to it yet because I’m busy building a house. I’ll try to hurry. :grin:

Also, just to help prevent any future awkwardness, the forum rules prohibit asking for files.

Have fun with your jumper! They really are cute little characters. :blush:

7 Likes