Spider ID?

34 Likes

did you just print that right now ?

2 Likes

I’ll ship you some of these guys and it will help take care of your spider problem.

23 Likes

Yes. :upside_down:

I simply looked up images for wolf spiders and found a clean one. I uploaded it to Photoshop and changed it to black and white.

I opened the GF App, selected the pendant design, then added my image – easy peasy (especially since I used Proofgrade maple ply. I didn’t need to futz with any settings. I just hit print.).

18 Likes

<3 <3 <3

6 Likes

Send your Wolf Spider to Australia.
Ours need feeding and those cute little American ones will do nicely

11 Likes

Here’s what we in Arizona call a sun spider. It’s not actually a spider, but more related to a scorpion.

These guys get into the house once in a while and being that their leg diameter gets up to 4", look pretty menacing.

The fact that they run really fast, and will charge at you if you try to approach them, makes them really fun to be stuck with. Kind of like a small tail-less version of a FaceHugger.

12 Likes

No, I know how you deal with annoying things —

17 Likes

Late to the party but just a wolf spider. Brown Recluse you will seldom see (until it’s too late) and the have a distinctive mark on their back that looks like a fiddle (violin), which is why they’re sometimes referred to as a fiddle back spider.

1 Like

Gasp! The look on the cat’s face after it tries to sit on it! :joy:

3 Likes

Grrr

I live just few miles north of you and yeah those guys make it inside all the time. The cat loves to play with them. I think they are pretty harmless and definitely not worth spraying a house full of poison for. A cup and a piece of paper works well. Or a cat.

7 Likes

The cat looks like my Starbucks! Yes he does sit on the spiders and then hit them hard with his giant paws.

Wow Jules, that’s an impressive, complicated spider safety routine! I also have a routine to save the numerous wolf spiders that wander through the house, but it’s a bit more simplistic than your plan. Mine goes like this…

ARGHHHHHH!!! MARK, SPIDER ALERT, SPIDER ALERT!!!

Then the magic happens; hubby drops whatever he’s doing, sprints in a top speed to rescue the spider and safely deposit them outside. I then come down off the chair I climbed on lol :scream::scream::spider:

7 Likes

A few months ago I felt something thump my arm as I was sitting at the computer. I casually looked over, saw the largest Black Widow I had ever seen sitting within an inch of me. I promptly freaked out and flung the poor gal across the room. (Her abdomen was as big as my fingernail.) I then spent 2 hrs tearing the room apart looking for her becasue with 5 dogs I can’t chance a venomous spider in the house. In my job I regularly see death and mayhem and it’s all in a days work; still can’t do spiders. :flushed:

10 Likes

The Oz version of your Black Widow is the Redback.
We get them a lot, pretty much any overhang surface that faces North (they like the warmth of the sun) will get a web. And those webs are fascinating.
They have 2 main types of silk, one structural and the other very elastic. They attach the elastic strands to the structural web and coat it with sticky stuff, when prey touches it the web breaks at the bottom and pings up with prey attached. Fascinating to watch.

This spider was trying to build a web at the entrance of one of my bee hives… she got promptly moved on!

12 Likes

THIS IS THE WORST THREAD WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE <discourse.>

22 Likes

The spider thread is freaking me out. Snakes? Meh. Mice? Meh. But bugs and spiders–heart goes all poundy and I have to summon assistance. Sometimes from quite a distance. I could do without the large close ups.

3 Likes

Sorry, my photography both above and below water is usually Macro - i forget most people don’t like to get too close to the critters

That Redback was with a 100mm. Even a big one is only a cm long.
The Huntsman was shot with a 50mm… she was big enough to stretch out in my hand

1 Like

Just for you :slight_smile:

10 Likes