Spiral Drawing Toy

Chuckle! I’d have to change it up sufficiently so that Hasbro didn’t come and sue me for my paltry 20$ in net profit. I was just foolin’ around in Illustrator.

(Can’t believe those Wild Gear things are selling for that much either…I must just be really out of touch.)

8 Likes

The larger ones are made in segments that lock together. (also multiple layers laminated). Otherwise you couldn’t transport them. Part of me wants to do a really fancy version with the GF (with segments of all different radii plus straight, and ditto gears) but I don’t want to steal this guy’s thunder.

3 Likes

Stop. Just stop it. :wink: These are so cool! I loved them as a kid.

3 Likes

I didn’t think about that. Yeah, I do remember them slipping a lot, especially the oblong ones.

3 Likes

That’s what I remember, almost finished… Dang! Slipped again! :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

6 Likes

Now laser what you drew with your Forgeograph on something

2 Likes

Digital Spirograph! That might actually be fun! :grinning:

I wanted to do this with my 3D printer a couple of years back, but the there’s a lot of post processing and they slip more than the originals! Very cool, can’t wait for my GF so I can take another stab at it. :grin:

1 Like

Still playing with this silly thing, but graduated to other non-traditional shapes…

13 Likes

:open_mouth: how did you do that rectangular shape?

Magic! (I might just work up a triangle next…to my great surprise, this is actually working.) :smile:

4 Likes

Oh neat! I definitely want to try this!

1 Like

I knew it! You are a witch! :scream: (Or a fairy :fairy: )

2 Likes

Just depends on who you ask, I believe. :smile:

5 Likes

Yep! It’s workin’… :grinning:

IMG_3002

The shapes are nothing more than different shaped rings if anyone else wants to try one. I might switch some things up and offer something in the catalog if it gets the okay from GF. (Still have to think about Hasbro.)

11 Likes

I really love this. Glowforge is/will allow us to do the things we want to do, not just what’s possible with what comes in the box. I remember wanting certain shapes and designs, but they just weren’t in the box of pieces. Now that’s not a limitation anymore. Oh the possibilities!

6 Likes

I used woodgears.ca/gear_cutting/ to make a set.

20 Likes

Nice! I like the square frame - that would be easier to hold down. :grinning:

1 Like

@bwente I love this! Maybe I missed it, but wonder if you might be willing to share the file? I can credit you with my build . . . thinking of PG Draftboard or PG Medium Clear Acrylic. Thank you!

@Jules Love this! Would you be willing to share? I asked another user the same. Of course, I would credit you for the design. Wondering too what material you used. I was thinking of using PG Draftboard or PG Medium Clear Acrylic, in case you have suggestions. Thank you!