Splitting vectors across multiple art boards for tool box foam

Hello every one Iv run in to a wall here. I’m tracing my tools to make a foam inserts for my tool boxes. Some of my tools span longer than one art board in illustrator so when I save as or export as a SVG I check the use artboards box so it splits the tracings of my tools. Upon viewing the SVG files they seem to do what I want but when it is uploaded to glowforge the whole tracing is there not the split up one you can see this in the files I uploaded the long rectangle is for a level. Its split up on the artboards and in the SVG files but not when it gets uploaded in the glowforge UI.

drawer 1.ai (1.6 MB) drawer 1-01 drawer 1-02 drawer 1-03

2 Likes

try saving as a PDF instead.

I just gave that a try its a no go. It still combines the slices.

i wasn’t sure it would work, but it was worth a try.

honestly, since they’re all cut lines, you’ll probably have to split them up manually. it looks like it’s only the one piece that runs across artboards, so i would create the three separate objects that cut off the edge of the foam.

1 Like

I’m kind of new to illustrator could you give me a few pointers? What tool would I use to cut at the artboard?

Once broken up (Break apart in Inkscape) you can assign a different color to each group that you want to act differently,

I’m not really familiar with inkscape any idea how i would do this in illustrator?

I’m not familiar with Illustrator but I’m sure there is a similar command.

Unfortunately, artboards aren’t actual geometry in AI so they don’t cut anything except as a visual effect. The tools you’re looking for are Pathfinder and Shapebuilder.

4 Likes

Just curious of you will be cutting Kaizen Foam from Fast Cap.

I’m actually cutting Harbor freight foam floor tiles . https://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-anti-fatigue-foam-mat-set-94635.html

Oh no, I’m sorry you’ve hit a snag.

Unfortunately, this question is outside our team’s scope. I’ve moved it to the Beyond the Manual so the discussion can continue there.

tools

part1

part2

part3

1 Like

not sure how tight your tolerances & how deep your foam will be, but maybe consider adding some thumb-holes for easier tool extraction?

2 Likes

yes I will probably be doing that as some of the panels I already cut the tools are a bit hard to get out

thumb holes are a cleaner look than the old paint-can key on a lanyard!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.