St. Basil's Cathedral burned on hard maple

I had an opportunity to visit Moscow about 12 years ago and took a picture of St. Basil’s with my iPhone…so the source photo was not very high quality…however, I think the burn turned out pretty well. This was done with da-big-gimping plug-in and burned on on ⅛ inch hard maple with my GF Plus.

30 Likes

Very nice! Like the wood grain too - gives a cloud effect.

5 Likes

Wow, that turned out nice. But I bet if you edited the photo to lighten up some of the those dark areas, you could get an even better engrave!

3 Likes

That really came out nice.

2 Likes

Nice way to revisit!

1 Like

For a brief second I thought it had burned down.

3 Likes

That was how I read it the first time too…

2 Likes

and @bill.m.davis Nooooo, not another cathedral…oh, wait…

2 Likes

Very nice! I’d be tempted to go in with some colored pencils and add a few highlights—St Basil’s is a very colorful structure, is it not? But I’d probably ruin it.

1 Like

Did anyone else hear the old school Tetris music immediately?

1 Like

Looks good to me.

That took a minute

Hi Bill,

You read my mind…I thought the very same thing one I finished with this. I might have to give it a try this next weekend.

1 Like

You are spot on…St. Basil’s is an incredible thing to see. I was amazed how beautiful it was in person. A little color would really make it pop, but I am not very “gifted” when it comes to the finer arts:-)

1 Like

Hey Jimmy,

OK, that made me chuckle a bit…but now that you have mentioned it, my post does lend one to believe there might have been a catastrophe. Sorry for the moment of panic:-)

2 Likes

Double wow, nicely done!