Stained "glass" clock

I hope this is okay, because I took some inspiration from @cynd11 and her mini-clock. I thought it would be cool to make a mantle sized one, and then I decided to try stained glass with different colors acrylic, with a cheap LED light base underneath. Here is the result, and I am so happy with it! I’m giving it to my mom, cannot wait! Thanks to @Jules for the kerf tutorial, it was great! Although it was odd, some of the purple (yes those are purple, not blue) pieces fit, others didn’t. I think there are three different kerf values in there that ended up working. Anyway, thanks again forum peeps! Y’all are the best!

Oh, I would also like to add, recreating that pattern in Inkscape taught me so much. I’m currently thinking of trying to apply it to my gingerbread house this year (and I think it will totally work)

44 Likes

Wow! Totally cool and I love the color choices! :grinning:

2 Likes

Thanks Jules! I cannot cut one more thing on that laser before attempting the cleaning of it, which I will do with your tutorial at hand. I’m very nervous about it because I am afraid I will break something. At this point, I’m so addicted to this thing I would be very sad if something goes awry. So my next project is studying and getting up my nerve so I can move on to lasering gingerbread. Fun!

3 Likes

Just take your time. And don’t drop a popsicle stick into the innards. :smile:

3 Likes

Wow, it came out great! It looks like you put a little votive light in there—genius idea!

2 Likes

Thanks! It’s actually an LED light base that fits underneath. I made an error in the clearance I needed so it doesn’t fit with the cord. But at least it also takes batteries.

1 Like

That is gorgeous!!!

3 Likes

Wonderful. I’m working on a few “stained glass” designs myself and hope they turn out just as well as yours.

2 Likes

So gorgeous! I would be so proud to think I inspired someone to make such a great piece and I’m sure @cynd11 will be too.

Your clock reminds me of one of my favorite GF LED pieces.

4 Likes

Wow, that is really cool!

1 Like

Thank you!

I would love to see them!

Very Pretty. That came out great!

2 Likes

Wow, thanks @kittski !
And @ElsieH your clock is beautiful. Nicely done!

3 Likes

This is sooo cool! How fun and exciting to create such a fabulous gift!

1 Like

This is incredible, amazing, awesome, and so many other good words.

1 Like

When I read this:

combined with this:

makes me want to know if by recreate you mean you made it from scratch using rectangles and circles or if you did a bitmap trace of a pattern and then nudged it here and there. If the latter, then I would expect pieces to not fit so well. If the former, then I’m a bit surprised, but kerf can be confounding sometimes.

The reason I would expect a trace to not kerf-compensate all that well is because the more complex the shape the more problems the software has in making a perfect “shadow” of it. And a trace usually has extra nodes causing bumps and stuff. It gets really complicated really quickly. But that clock is amazing; you wound up with a wonderful piece.

Gingerbread house! I need to see it! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi there, I recreated it using shapes and lines. I was surprised too, the red and yellow pieces fit perfectly. And the first three purple ones did too. Then there were just some that were way too small. I had to increase the kerf value on those from. 008 to. 01 to get them to fit, it was really odd. But of course, I haven’t had anything yet work on the first try, so I wasn’t surprised.

1 Like

Haha! Will have to wait until December lol