Staining and Lasering

This may be a stupid question, but don’t want to set my house on fire, I just received my Glow Forge TODAY, Yay! But I haven’t even set it up. I have a particular project in mind. Is it safe to stain a piece of wood and then laser? Or is that going to cause a problem?

2 Likes

I don’t like blanket statements because somebody will make me a liar but for the most part stains and varnishes are safe to laser.

4 Likes

Let them dry completely first. :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

And make sure that the stain is not made from Chrome, or any lead, or other metals or chlorides as those can be bad for folks and Glowforge both.

3 Likes

The only caution would be to use an acrylic base and not oil or varnish. Lasering makes fire. As it is, wood has a tendency to burn. But varnish or oil-soaked wood burns even better.

2 Likes

You should have already, but get a good fire extinguisher and NEVER walk away while it’s cutting. And make sure your venting is good.

3 Likes

Thanks y’all! Great info! I’m a little scared, so May hold off on that project until I’m more confident. Taking notes on everything said here so I’ll have it for reference. Thanks again!

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.