Star Wars Ornament 2

Ok, second post…same topic.

Here’s the second production ornament that I designed for the 'Forge. This one hops on the emotional train we all rode when Han said: “Chewie, we’re home.”

I had loads of Photoshop work to do on the portraits to get them ready to laser. I also had to move Chewie closer to Han to get a decent composition.

My first design didn’t have any detail on the Falcon other than its outer shape. I added the surface engraving afterwards, and I really like the results.

All it needs is a bit of ribbon and this baby is ready for any Christmas tree.

Cheers

45 Likes

That’s great–my geeky heart is envious!

2 Likes

Looks soo amazing!

1 Like

Wow, really nice job! I’m thinking this kind of thing would look super cool if you applied some Oracal 352 chrome or gold polyester film to the wood before cutting/engraving/scoring. I’ve had great results from the gold film. Here’s links to what I’m talking about:

https://www.signwarehouse.com/product-search-results?q=oracal+352

3 Likes

How do you use that product? Is it self-adhesive? Does the glue and film laser well?

I gotta say, that idea is intriguing.

It’s a very thin film that is self adhesive. Comes on a nonstick carrier paper. You apply it to the board before lasering. It lasers very well. Here’s how the Glowforge keychain looks with it on Draftboard:

3 Likes

Oooo…bling!

Do you then mask it, or cut/engrave without a mask?

I’ve done it both ways, works fine. If you don’t mask, it’s a little hard to wipe the wood engraving ick off the surface of the gold film. I use alcohol wipes.

2 Likes