Stargate Atlantis Clock using 3D Engrave

I’ve had my GF for almost two full weeks, so I figured it’s my turn to post my first self-designed project. I didn’t check to see if there’s already a ton of clocks and stargates and such but I figured based on reading other posts that you were all kind enough to tolerate another.

I bought the circle blank clock at Target for $5 and used the free Stargate 2K x2K downloaded image from File:Stargate.svg - Wikimedia Commons.
I knew I wanted to paint it differently, and I knew I wanted it to have the depth in order to make highlighting stand out.

I am still working on getting my laser focus right without the tray, and I found that the only way to have the 3D engrave preset was to select proofgrade materials.

Unfortunately, the difference in material thickness affected the image differences between the lid camera and actual positioning so I lost some of the edge because I was off-center.

Fortunately, autofocus was able to calibrate the engraving absolutely perfectly.

I’m really happy with the way it turned out. It was my first real engraving project after several days of trial and error with different materials.

I have acrylic that I considered engraving for the center, but I was worried that the hands of the clock wouldn’t have enough clearance to spin, so painting seemed the best option. I’m glad I went with my gut on that because when the light hits it just right, the clear nail polish gives the watery look.
Use what you’ve got, right? :grin:

I’ve also made a pop-up card and experimented with material settings from the excel in the matrix…I have to say that I really love this community and all that you do to help others like me, not just get started, but hit the ground running!

Thank you :pray:

Aaaaand now my finished project is telling me it’s time to go to bed :joy:

60 Likes

I used to be a big Atlantis fan. Great job!

6 Likes

What a great project! The engraving of a $5 blank and finishing technique really transformed a bargain item into an eye popper. Please keep posting.

6 Likes

Wow, I can’t decide what I like better, the engraving or the painting. How long did all of that take? Love the end result! It just looks cool, whether you are a Stargate fan or not. Great job!

5 Likes

Wow! That looks great! Thank you for the open source link. I have been thinking for ideas for those nightlights and the Stargate is perfect!

5 Likes

OMG!! The detail is amazing. Thanks for the link too. Excellent work.

5 Likes

You sure hit the ground running! That blue early makes it pop too.

4 Likes

Super nerdy and awesome! Nice work.

5 Likes

Great job!

2 Likes

There’s great svg files for all of the different Stargate iterations on wikimedia! I hope you get to use them on something cool!

2 Likes

Thanks!It was fun to make!
Atlantis was my favorite. I refuse to acknowledge anything after. :joy:

3 Likes

:open_mouth: My jaw is on the floor!! This is AMAZING!!! Thanks for the link!! I miss SG Atlantis :frowning:

3 Likes

I miss Stargate Atlantis too! We found it on Amazon Prime and bought it, so now our sons are starting to enjoy it…probably why this design was the first thing to pop into my head when I saw the blank clock.

3 Likes

Hi Elsie! It didn’t take long at all one I decided on GF laser settings :joy:
Not counting trial and error cardboard pre-tests, The actual print itself was about 1.5-1.75 hours. Masking it made clean up quick and paint was about 30 minutes because I used the Sharpie paint pens…the solid tips make painting only the highest points very easy without drip or spread.
It was a single day project…its a relatively small clock, 8” diameter.

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum! Nice project!

4 Likes

A clock face with an odd number of major divisions is messing with my mind. :laughing: It’s a super piece though, nice details and the added colors look great!

3 Likes

Really creative! I love it.

1 Like

:joy:
The odd number of divisions (that’s off compared to an actual clock) was strangely uncomfortable for me too…for some reason my 11 yr old loves it though, so it’s his!
I didn’t even consider it until after the print was done, so it was a unique issue that I think I’ll probably just keep in mind for future creations.
Symmetry can still be weird!

4 Likes

Genius! I love that you’re passing it on to the next generation :smiley:

2 Likes

I am blown away. Very talented

2 Likes