Stargate model

I made my pops a stargate for Father’s Day.

Here it is normal

Here’s what it looks like lit.

Also for any fans out there, I just read that Roland Emmerich will be making a new stargate trilogy after the new Independence Day movie

69 Likes

Woohoo. Really nice.

1 Like

Very cool!
The lighting is great with that texture!

3 Likes

I can’t like this enough!

1 Like

Are you kidding me? This is AWESOME!! I am sure your dad will love it. You made a second one for yourself, right?

6 Likes

Love it! Stargate was one of my first sci-fi shows. It has a special place in my heart. Haha

6 Likes

Thats epic!! Very nice on the texture, I like how it diffused and redirects the light flow.
Lucky Dad…lol.

3 Likes

Wow–gorgeous!

1 Like

This is really cool, and looks fantastic lit up! Question: what did you use for the blue disc? Was that two layers of acrylic intentionally bonded ‘badly’ to trap bubbles?

It is a single piece of acrylic that was etched on both sides. I made the design from an image ripped from actual footage. It took quite a bit of post-processing to make the ripples show up, but It came out almost exactly as I wanted.

The back side has a more even gradient which gets lighter/more dense towards the center. This causes it to give a nice smooth dispersal to the light, while the front side is similar, but the water ripples are much more pronounced, giving it quite a bit more of a turbulent look.

18 Likes

Thanks! Soon! I’m waiting on a collet adapter for a very accurate German endmill, but it’s taking longer than expected to get here. I’m gonna make a whole gate in full 3D. V2 you could say

4 Likes

This is Awesome! I am a super fanatic when it comes to Stargate,

My first project with the glowforge will actually be a mechanically working Stargate that dials.

I had no idea there were other Stargate fans here. :slight_smile:

12 Likes

There’s probably quite a few of us :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6 Likes

I was wondering how large a model stargate would need to be to fit all the mechanical and lighting effects into the ring. Will you make a control console to activate the “gate”?

3 Likes

The work on the acrylic is amazing! Turned out perfect. Great job exploring technique!

1 Like

I was thinking about making a DHD for it, but I think phase one will just have a button on the gate itself that will trigger it to dial the home address. Another idea I had was to build a portable jumper console that would remotely control it.

I plan on making it a wall art piece so it will be fairly large anywhere between two feet in diameter to four feet in diameter. I am not sure how large yet, but I will be beginning the designs very shortly and I will keep you guys in the loop.

If this is anything like my Catan project I will get pretty obsessed with the details really quick. :slight_smile:

Now I just need my Glowforge…

Seriously though, @takitus You have inspired me to begin the design of my project. Again, great work on this, its pretty fantastic!

6 Likes

Ok… That is just freakin awesome… Nice work.

2 Likes

This is what laser-cut gearing is for.

2 Likes

Thanks man! I saw your catan tiles way before I joined this group, and Ive loved them the moment I laid eyes on em. Cant wait to see what you do with a bigger arsenal at your disposal!

2 Likes

Very nice job on the acrylic! I see a fly that is about to get transported to another world. :wink:

1 Like