Startup, Banging noise

I don’t know what happened. One day it was fine, and now when I start the glowforge up, it is making a banging noise and not being able to focus calibrate. It just makes a banging vibration. It is at the top left corner like it should be. I cleaned the lens, I tested the tracks, it seems ok. I don’t know what gives.

With the machine off, can you gently slide the carriage forward and back without any impediment? Can you slide the printhead left and right without anything catching? If so, check your belts for equal tension.

1 Like

Okay, of course after I emailed support, I gave it another good clean, wiped the belts, let it sit for a bit, fired it up, and it worked again just fine. ugh, always after I ask for help, but literally it was like this for days. thank you so much~!

When this occurs (the head is moving, but it’s not moving to center, or it’s wandering around), it typically means that it has misidentified the location off the head. It takes a picture of the bed, an algorithm attempts to identify the head and then it moves what it thinks is the head to the middle, under the lid camera to focus on the logo on top of the head.

This can be caused by just the right shape and size hole in your material that’s on the bed, or by excessive amount of light coming into the machine (I think this can either cause odd shadows, or an overexposed picture). Also, having the lid camera clean is important.

3 Likes

I’m sorry for the trouble, but I’m glad to hear you were able to resolve it! I’m going to close this thread. If you run into any other trouble, please start a new topic, or email us at support@glowforge.com. We’re here to help!