Starwars edgelit acrylic

People seem to really like these acrylic signs so as ive been making them ive been refining my design for the base and ways of getting the light to travel up to different shaped areas. My boss asked me to make two night lights for his sons and he wanted one to be bb8 and the other r2d2, he also wanted them to be battery powered. My final design called for 4 button cell batteries which makes them bright enough to only need a small strip of LEDs. Anther trick i came up with was to leave one side of the masking on the acrylic that I put behind the names to act as a diffuser and hid the wiring inside so you cant see it if you look in through the letters. all in all they came out pretty nice after a few coats of wipe on poly. I think whenever i make one of these now I will be using this design.
MVIMG_20180909_142842 MVIMG_20180909_141524

28 Likes

Nicely done, they look great both on and off!

1 Like

Very, very nice!
(but be careful how/where you sell them–Disney/Fox is very protective of their IP…)

3 Likes

Epic. Nicely done.

1 Like

this was just a request by my boss but people ask me to make all kinds of different signs like this so I was talking about the base when i said i was making more in the future.

3 Likes

Nice! I like the way you did those switches.

1 Like

it took me a while to get the right ones. those dont take up much room on the inside and i just cut out a little rectangle for them to pop into so i dont even need anything else to hold them in place.

1 Like

Very nice work!
When engraving edge lit acrylic, it is good to plan your file with different depths of engraving. The penetration into the material shadows everything above it.
Plan for using the lowest power for the engrave closest to the light source. then progress deeper (more power) as the design ascends away from the source. Very little power is needed, just enough to be deeper than the engrave below it.
That way everything is lit evenly. The major reason I personally favor the thick acrylic for edge-lit work.

5 Likes

How long do the batteries last?

I don’t know, they haven’t run out yet.

Perfect timing! My nephew Luke was born last night. His acrylic nightlight has been designed, but that box is WAY better than what I was thinking.

1 Like