Static Shock after pressing Magic Button

Hello! Today I went to press the button to start a print and I felt a quick static shock. The button was blinking blue like normal, but wouldn’t respond when I pressed it. I turned the machine off/on and it seems to be running the print now.

However, this is my refurbished replacement Glowforge, after my original one stopped working after I felt a “shock” when pressing the button, and the button turned purple.

Has anyone else experienced this? Should I be concerned and how can I prevent it from happening?

Not sure I’ve ever heard anyone report anything like that, but my uneducated guess would be that it’s the air around you that’s picking up static electricity. You know…like when you shuffle your feet on the floor and then get a shock from anything you touch?


Agreed. The machine wasn’t generating the static, you were, and you grounded yourself against it (and crashed the CPU) when you touched it.


Are there any other devices running on the same table or in close proximity to your GF?

I had an air purifier on the same table as mine for a while that was causing all sorts of static problems in the GF until I moved the purifier to a different shelf.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.