Steampunk Bookends

Well I normally don’t do any kind of any social media at all, but everyone here seems very kind and likeminded and passionate about their projects so I figured I would share some of mine as well. I received my Glowforge back in Oct 2019 knowing nothing of laser cutting or engraving I was very much into woodworking and wanted to add some more detail to my projects, so for the next few months I started teaching myself how to use Inkscape. I have had a great time learning and watching everyones projects on here and has been a great motivator to push myself to do more creative projects. Fast forward a few months I started making some projects to sell on Etsy and these bookends have been really fun to make and one of my best sellers, I have almost paid of my Glowforge and plan to keep pushing myself to be more creative.

Well thats a little about me and what I do, hope you all have a great day.

88 Likes

I can see why, those are something I’d have in my bookshelves! Welcome to the forum! :grinning:

4 Likes

Woweee these are cool.

3 Likes

Wow, very nice! I like how those turned out!

2 Likes

Wow. These are amazing. Don’t let Eric from Hand Tool Rescue see these. He’ll dunk them in Evapo-Rust before you know it.

7 Likes

Well, I love Steampunk, gears, and books, so call me a fan. Nice work!

4 Likes

It is easy to see why you paid off your Glowforge investment. These are great, and your commitment to honing your skill to bring your art to life is commendable. Keep sharing, please.

3 Likes

Those are freaking awesome! Love them!

2 Likes

Very nice looking.

so when you make those gears they are many layers on the glowforge?

I would like to do some gears. but I am considering making the blank on my lathe and then making a jig for my router table to cut the teeth.

4 Likes

Thank you all for the kind words, and yes it is about 20 layers altogether. I have also made gears in my workshop about the same way, Ive also used a bandsaw, jigsaw, and by hand, and doing it this way is much easier and faster.

11 Likes

Very creative - well done!

2 Likes

Fantastic, the aged look is quite convincing!

Those are super nice.

well that is good to know. I shall file that away in my brain. or at least an email folder.

I have an RBI hawk scroll saw, and a bandsaw. but cutting gears on those make my head hurt just thinking about it.

I was just thinking that with the right router bit, and the glowforge I could rig up a fairly precise jig and just roll the gear on a sled back and forth over router in the the router table.

Wow, I love it. The distressed finish is really nice.

1 Like

Very cool. Really like the aged effect you applied.

2 Likes

HA!! They are mine now! I just bought them on Etsy. Sorry everyone. not really sorry. They are so cool! :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Great project!

2 Likes

Super.

Any tips on the rust effect, perfect. Great Job

3 Likes